Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read Diablo's rendition on how easy his front sprocket came off and are very greatful for the insight on how to do mine. Unfortunately, mine is not being so forgiving. Tried impact, no good, tried breaker bar, no go, looked at internal threads and look to be right-handed. Wanna make sure of the way it comes off before I ride somewhere where there is some serious air pressure.Thanx, UOO TO ALL! :eyecrazy:

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Be sure that the lock ring is flattened well.

They often appear to be ok but are still holding the nut at vey base.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine took a bit of convincing and came loose with an almighty clang, but the main thing was having a good socket that was a simple hex shape (from my rattle gun which didn't have enough guts to get it off) so it didn't slip.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I have an hydrolic lift so I can't give you exact details on how to remove, but if you can simulate the same actions you should have no problem.

On the lift the bike is held strait against a clamp in front only. Then I use straps to hold the rear brake lever down while the bike is in neutral but if you can get someone to press on the brake lever than that will accomplish the same result. Next, use the breaker bar(I only used a 24" breaker) pulling from the back end of the bike and up. I don't know if you ever weight lifted but you get more pull like deadlifting than you do with your arms pulling down from the front side. After that it should come out. Just listen to what the other guys have already said about the flatning the washer and lefty loosy. I have done this many times now with ease so, give it a try :thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bluedevil said:
I have an hydrolic lift so I can't give you exact details on how to remove, but if you can simulate the same actions you should have no problem.

On the lift the bike is held strait against a clamp in front only. Then I use straps to hold the rear brake lever down while the bike is in neutral but if you can get someone to press on the brake lever than that will accomplish the same result. Next, use the breaker bar(I only used a 24" breaker) pulling from the back end of the bike and up. I don't know if you ever weight lifted but you get more pull like deadlifting than you do with your arms pulling down from the front side. After that it should come out. Just listen to what the other guys have already said about the flatning the washer and lefty loosy. I have done this many times now with ease so, give it a try :thumbsup:
Thanx for the recommendation, ironically I did exactly as you just explained. Had my neighbor come over and hold the brake down while the front wheel was hard against a wall while I used a breaker bar pulling up. Perhaps I will check the washer again tomorrow, 102 degrees here today, killin me,Thanks to all, UOO TO ALL!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IdratherBzx10en said:
Impact guns are bad for the transmission use a breaker bar
I heard the same thing, so I didn't spend a whole lot of time with it once I seen it wasn't happening. Did everything in neutral holding brake, UOO TO ALL!

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
NC-NINJA said:
Thanx for the recommendation, ironically I did exactly as you just explained. Had my neighbor come over and hold the brake down while the front wheel was hard against a wall while I used a breaker bar pulling up. Perhaps I will check the washer again tomorrow, 102 degrees here today, killin me,Thanks to all, UOO TO ALL!
Man, that was smart. You are on the right track because the wall thing I would think that would be the equivalent, so I know your thinking about it. :mrgreen:

Now make sure whoever is on the brake is putting all the weight on without breaking the rear lever(meaning a strong weight on the lever). Then start from almost the ground down and lift up. Good luck man, I think your close.

PS, I have measured through digital technology meter the true torque and my scale went off the charts over 150ft-lbs(the limit of my meter). My air gun that is cheap but strong enough to remove almost anything could not touch that bolt. So, deadlift up and out guy, you will get it out no prob..

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
ED is the only one on this board that I'm aware of that didn't have a hard time getting that thing off. That's probablly why he was able to post instructions and pics, everyone else was too pissed to bother. :angryfire

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Andy said:
ED is the only one on this board that I'm aware of that didn't have a hard time getting that thing off. That's probablly why he was able to post instructions and pics, everyone else was too pissed to bother. :angryfire
Sorry Andy but as much as you like El D as I do, it's really not a problem for me or others. You need to read my post below. :thumbsup: or define "problem" :badteeth: :badteeth:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Jeez, mine came right off with a little air. Bad for the tranny? WTF? Explain that one please. If you were some kind of retard and left it in gear maybe. It's the fucking output shaft kids. It can handle a little vibration.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My method: stick a thick broom or shovel handle between a wheel spoke & the swingarm. I then use a 2' breaker bar with a pipe to extend it. Done.

·
Registered
176 Posts
mad kaw said:
Jeez, mine came right off with a little air. Bad for the tranny? WTF? Explain that one please. If you were some kind of retard and left it in gear maybe. It's the fucking output shaft kids. It can handle a little vibration.
Vibration is one thing but impact is another. Impact guns can damage bearings and gears in a tranny. Not always but best practice is to use a breaker bar. on parts like that.

·
Registered
852 Posts
IdratherBzx10en said:
Vibration is one thing but impact is another. Impact guns can damage bearings and gears in a tranny. Not always but best practice is to use a breaker bar. on parts like that.
Did you get that little bit of science from a gum wrapper? How is using an impact wrench on the sprocket nut even felt by a bearing or gear? Go ahead, I really want to hear this.

·
Registered
852 Posts
zx9rmal said:
My method: stick a thick broom or shovel handle between a wheel spoke & the swingarm. I then use a 2' breaker bar with a pipe to extend it. Done.
Before anyone tries this, be advised you won't be the first guy to find out how soft aluminum is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts