Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got an impact wrench? Gotta have it.
That’s how I did mine as well. Used a flat punch to knock the lock washer relatively flat, then the nut came right off with an impact gun. Piece of cake, and I probably spent more time readjusting the chain then doing the -1 sprocket swap.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yep, just did this the other day. 15 minutes with a massive 1/2" ratchet and it wouldn't budge. Pushed it down the lane to a local garage and they had it off in 10 seconds with an impact.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up wedging a number of rags and a baseball bat between the swingarm and wheel spoke :lol: I do have an impact wrench but it wasn't enough. Either way that stupid pain in the rear is off and the rags prevented any damage to the vehicle. I think I'm gonna say screw the special washer and just waterjet out my own (without teeth) and then safety wire the OEM or an aftermarket nut. Will probably make my life a lot easier than having to screw-drive and mallet that stupid washer over and over and fatiguing/replacing it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, just did this the other day. 15 minutes with a massive 1/2" ratchet and it wouldn't budge. Pushed it down the lane to a local garage and they had it off in 10 seconds with an impact.
Did you find it best when adjusting your chain to align the chain and sprocket or just set the alignment via the swing arm indicators?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Did you find it best when adjusting your chain to align the chain and sprocket or just set the alignment via the swing arm indicators?
I'll answer that question. My swing arm indicator marks are spot on and the chain will be straight as long as I use the leading edge of the axle blocks to align. That being said, I've read all over the place that those marks are unreliable. Weird. Why would the production tolerances be so poor for some swing arms.

Oh, ya. As for the original question, I couldn't get my front sprocket nut off with a breaker bar and 2x4 method but I spun it off in 10 seconds with my Ryobi 18V impact driver.

·
Registered
43 Posts
only thing that got mine off was an air impact... for anyone reading this in the future... by hand is next to impossible (we have all tried before you! LOL)

·
The Pace
7,010 Posts
left handed thread, if I recall. Stop fooling with this bike; if it's running well then you have to simply learn how to ride it; I gave the Code book Twist link. I wasn't joking about reading it 1000 times...that means studying the topics, especially the flick timing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
left handed thread, if I recall. Stop fooling with this bike; if it's running well then you have to simply learn how to ride it; I gave the Code book Twist link. I wasn't joking about reading it 1000 times...that means studying the topics, especially the flick timing.
NO. It's right-handed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah OP come on! GAWD!!!! Learn to be one with the bike. Find out what it's spirit animal is. Then and ONLY then will the front sprocket nut release itself for you. Namaste.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!!!! :spit::crackup:

:iamwithstupid:

For the record i took the one off my 636 last summer with a breaker bar. Yes 2x4 in rear wheel, sucks pulling towards your face, breaker bar bent slightly but didnt break the wrench.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Any of the ~600ft/lb electric impacts will knock those off like it's nothing. Not to mention you aren't putting undue pressure on your wheels!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts