Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I'm looking to do the cheap 16 tooth front sprocket upgrade. I visited solomotoparts.com and they have the AFAM 520 Front sprocket for $34.00 and listed under O.E.M. parts for an 04/05 ZX-10R. Now I thought the chain was a 525 for the 04/05 10R...did they just make a mistake (there's no way it will fit right?)? Also, are they no longer a site sponsor because I tried to do the free shipping coupon code and it says its no longer valid. Thanks.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
the OEM chain is indeed a 525 and thats what sprocket you'll need unless your doing a complete conversion to 520.

BD

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
IITravel said:
I thought the stock chain was 530? And for 2006 they went with 525, or am I wrong?
No 530 chains on 10Rs. All of them are 525, unless you or someone else has changed it... Not just new on '06.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
you can actually use a 520 sprocket with a 525 chain...but it wont last as long. And I wouldn't recomend it. But its been done before.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
IcePick, what have you done to the 'vette so far? I've got a '00 FRC with the Z51 package. I planned on adding a procharger and a coil over kit to the mods I've done until I saw the new Z06. Now I think I'll save my money and put a downpayment on one of those bad boys.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
phastone said:
IcePick, what have you done to the 'vette so far? I've got a '00 FRC with the Z51 package. I planned on adding a procharger and a coil over kit to the mods I've done until I saw the new Z06. Now I think I'll save my money and put a downpayment on one of those bad boys.
I hear you Phastone, When I saw that new Z06, I kinda wished I had waited for another 6 months before jumping. However, I'm still thinking about getting one next fall (maybe a used '06 or a new '07), my dad is on the list at a local dealership but he says he no longer wants one so I may take his spot. :mrgreen:

As far as mods on my '05: Halltech Stinger, Custom Exhaust, Billet Package (Handles, exhaust hanger, front grille), skip shift eliminator, B&M shifter, Chrome wheels (changing to black soon).

If I don't get the Z06 (I'll decide by next summer), then I'm gonna slap a Procharger kit on there. I know a guy who just had one installed and he said it is AMAZING (615+BHP, 590 TQ) :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Big Daddy said:
the OEM chain is indeed a 525 and thats what sprocket you'll need unless your doing a complete conversion to 520.

BD
BD, I'm sure it's been discussed before but can you tell me what's the main difference (advantages/disadvantages) of doing the 520 conversion?

Also BD, is solomotoparts.com no longer a site sponsor? I was trying to get a good deal; Thanks.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
IcePick06 said:
BD, I'm sure it's been discussed before but can you tell me what's the main difference (advantages/disadvantages) of doing the 520 conversion? Thanks.
it has indeed. The 520 chain/sprockets are thinner in size therefore a minor weight reduction over the OEM 525 parts. A hotly debated topic over durability is always the case when comparing the life span of said parts and since i don't have 520 components i can't say how they hold up but perhaps someone will inject the thread soon with their experience. I have used 520 setups in the past with great results but chose not to with the 10r.

BD

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Big Daddy said:
it has indeed. The 520 chain/sprockets are thinner in size therefore a minor weight reduction over the OEM 525 parts. A hotly debated topic over durability is always the case when comparing the life span of said parts and since i don't have 520 components i can't say how they hold up but perhaps someone will inject the thread soon with their experience. I have used 520 setups in the past with great results but chose not to with the 10r.

BD
If you look up EK chains, their race version of the 520 chain actually has more tensile strength and better wear charachteristics than the stock 525 chain.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
hillcountry10r said:
If you look up EK chains, their race version of the 520 chain actually has more tensile strength and better wear charachteristics than the stock 525 chain.
yes i have done that grasshoppa!! thank you.

BD

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
hillcountry10r said:
thought i heard that once before but worried it was marketing and not factual...not discounting you, Hill, just saying why i stuck with the 525...went with a d.i.d. erv series...

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
The 520 can handle the power of the 10 unless you are a stunter or dragracer. In those cases, I would keep the 525 or even get a 530. I've only put about 1k street/track miles on the 520 setup on the 10 and it almost looks new. The 520 kits on my other bikes usually last between 6k and 7k miles before they need replacing.

Like BD said, the weight difference between the 520 and 525 isn't as much as the 520 and 530, although part of the weight is unsprung and rotating so it magnifies the weight that is lost. But unless you are racing for a championship or just like messing with your bike, it isn’t necessary.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Mad_man said:
How much top is lost with the 16t? I think this will be next upgrade
virtually none...

I've seen over 175 with it...not proven...but a good guess.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
hillcountry10r said:
... and they come in pretty colors, too! :gay:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts