Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sup. im new to the site. i have an '04 zx10r, and im trying to change the front sproket to a 16. i cant seem to get the bell nut and washer off!?? is it reverse thread ? anyone have any tips? please.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
sup. im new to the site. i have an '04 zx10r, and im trying to change the front sproket to a 16. i cant seem to get the bell nut and washer off!?? is it reverse thread ? anyone have any tips? please.
i have the same bike and just had the same problem, you need to flatten the washer all the way the nut is normal threads its just a pain in the ass. i had to heat up one side of the nut, bust it loose with a good impact then i had a bottle of water right there to cool it back off so you dont reck the seal. good luck:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
impact gun for sure. make sure it is in neutral when you hit it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I know it's easier to ask than search, but there are several good threads on this topic, and probably a lot of people who do not want to retype their suggestions.

It's not reverse threads. Flatten the washer. Use heat, impact gun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you dont have a Impact gun like most of us (well me) then just use a long bar on the end of your socket wrench (I have a 4ft scaff bar) then get someone to apply your rear brake...if that dont work and the wheel turns then a nice piece off wood (padded) through your rear wheel to stop it turning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sweet. thanks u guys! wish me luck... i dont have a impact at the house so im gonna try the prybar, brake and 2+4 move..! improvise. sounds like a long shot but what to lose.? if i fail, i'll visit my buddy who has a compressor next week.

·
can we ride yet!?!?!?
3,522 Posts
I know it's easier to ask than search, but there are several good threads on this topic, and probably a lot of people who do not want to retype their suggestions.

It's not reverse threads. Flatten the washer. Use heat, impact gun.
:iamwithst the search button is your friend bro! anything and everything you can think of to do to your bike has been covered on here before.

don't make a mountain out of a mole hill, flat washer + impact gun= what your after

·
Registered
360 Posts
it's a bitch without an impact. also get someone to sit on the bike or you run the chance of dumping it over with the huge breaker bar.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Don't forget a little anti sieze when you re-install it. Makes things a bit easier next time.

·
Registered
586 Posts
If you insist on using an impact wrench, make sure it is in neutral. (The bikes transmission of course)

My countershaft nut is torqued to 85 foot pounds (I also use blue loctite) and I run a broom handle through my rear rim and swingarm to hold it while I loosen and also retighten.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sprocket is on thanks! used a long bar and some muscle. is raining so i'll have to wait, but i cant wait to see the difference one tooth will make for my wheelies.? will i be pullin them in 4th gear now?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
sprocket is on thanks! used a long bar and some muscle. is raining so i'll have to wait, but i cant wait to see the difference one tooth will make for my wheelies.? will i be pullin them in 4th gear now?
I was running -1 for a couple months. 3rd gear clutch ups. I tried 4th and couldn't get them to come up. I'm -1/+2 now. Much better.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I was running -1 for a couple months. 3rd gear clutch ups. I tried 4th and couldn't get them to come up. I'm -1/+2 now. Much better.
+1

I ran -1 +2 for a year. Decided to spend the 29.99 just to try -2 +2. :mrgreen:

If you dont mind losing about 20 mph on top (160's vs 180's) and you cant get enough nuclear acceleration, by all means try it. I also have a 1/5.5 throttle, yet with smooth deliberate throttle control, you can keep the front wheel down in the first 2 gears if you so choose, but its so much more fun to let her fly!!!

Its definitely not for the faint of heart, but for all the adrenaline junkies out there I would say try it. Its only 29.99 shipped to your door.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am scheduled to get a -1, +1 set up today. I notice that most people get a -1, +2 but the shop I am using doesn't have a +2 rear in stock. Should I hold out for a +2 rear or is the -1,+1 set-up a good option too?

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
If you insist on using an impact wrench, make sure it is in neutral. (The bikes transmission of course)

My countershaft nut is torqued to 85 foot pounds (I also use blue loctite) and I run a broom handle through my rear rim and swingarm to hold it while I loosen and also retighten.

Good advise for him.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts