Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried everything i can think of to get this thing off. I have compleatley flatened the washer, used a torch, used a 3 ft breaker bar, an impact gun, and pentrating oil. this thing just wont turn is there anything elese i can use to get it off?

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
They can be deceptive.
They can look flattened, specially the obviously bent part, but still be holding at the base.

Happened to me on a Z750.

Went back with a socket that was a little bigger than the nut, and a mallet to flatten the retainer again. Off the nut came.
Would have sworn up and down I had flattened it the first time and by the looks of it before using socket.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
ZX10Miami said:
They can be deceptive.
They can look flattened, specially the obviously bent part, but still be holding at the base.

Went back with a socket that was a little bigger than the nut, and a mallet to flatten the retainer again. Off the nut came.
Would have sworn up and down I had flattened it the first time and by the looks of it before using socket.

Good advice miami.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Man i'll tell ya, had a bunch of friends over one night and we each took a crack at it with the breaker bar. No go. I hammered on it spit at it and called it every name in the book. Then after everyone left, I had a chat with it, put the breaker bar on and gave 'er one last heave.....off like butta.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I changed mine to a 16 when I first bought bike.Came off fairly easy I just sat on bike and held rear brake.Then about a week ago I decided to change back to factory sprocket.I could not get it off without help.I held bike and brake plus stuck an axe handle through wheel then my buddy had to stand on pull handle and jump.It did finally break loose.But it was a bitch.I sure did not think I put it on that tight.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
the more you ride it, the tighter it gets.....no way i could get it off by hand, but the impact had no problem whatsoever

·
Registered
242 Posts
yea really.... 1 word:

air tools.

errr... 2 words..

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
ZX10Miami said:
They can be deceptive.

Should have mentioned- I was using an air gun.^^^^^
That is why I eventually rechecked the retaining washer.
Hard to see if the very base of it is truly off the bolt sometimes.

Maybe try a little penetrating lube to help it along if the retainer is truly flat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts