Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What length shaft do you need on a socket wrench to generate enough torque to get this stupid engine sprocket nut off?

This is standard threaded, not reverse right?

So far no luck getting it to budge. Going to the hardware store for an extension I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
You need to use an impact gun on it...
 

·
MIA Ex-Mod
Joined
·
3,051 Posts
It is a standard thread. I would imagine you need at least a 3ft cheater. I just used an impact and it zoomed right off.

Tread
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
363 Posts
I had to run a ratchet strap around my rear tire connected to my suspension linkage and torque the strap down tight enough to where my rear wheel wouldn't move and use a 1/2 in breaker bar. Successful on two bikes now, it works damn good and I couldn't do it any other way. Or a good impact gun but I had a harbor freight model and it wouldn't budge it!:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,062 Posts
My buddy borrowed a 1" impact wrench from his freind the truck mechanic. Then he cranked his air up to 170#. Put the socket on the sprocket, pulled the trigger and launched the bike through the drywall and broke several boards on the garage siding. Moral of the story: stick a board or something across the swingarm and through the back wheel.
 

·
Speed Freak
Joined
·
12,730 Posts
if an impacter doesnt work then use a large 2 foot or so breaker bar and I have done this a few times but with the bike on the stand or the kickstand put it in gear roll the bike forwards until the gear stops it (this is so that theres no slack in the chain) and hold the rear brake at the same time and just crank on it, ya need some muscle to do this but it will sometimes work better than sitting there with an impactor or torching the nut to break it loose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,537 Posts
garth285 said:
if an impacter doesnt work then use a large 2 foot or so breaker bar and I have done this a few times but with the bike on the stand or the kickstand put it in gear roll the bike forwards until the gear stops it (this is so that theres no slack in the chain) and hold the rear brake at the same time and just crank on it, ya need some muscle to do this but it will sometimes work better than sitting there with an impactor or torching the nut to break it loose.
the only part i disagree with is having the bike 'in gear' and even though the force applied is through human strength i just don't recommend it.

Now putting the front wheel up against a sturdy wall of any kind while sitting on it and applying the brake with it in neutral is cool and works great.

BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,128 Posts
12RPilot said:
My buddy borrowed a 1" impact wrench from his freind the truck mechanic. Then he cranked his air up to 170#. Put the socket on the sprocket, pulled the trigger and launched the bike through the drywall and broke several boards on the garage siding. Moral of the story: stick a board or something across the swingarm and through the back wheel.
Whoa nelly. I bet that was a bad day. I can't help but laugh at that though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
my way off

i wrap an old piece of chain around the socket, clamp it with a pair of vice grips and stick an 18" breaker bar thru the vice grips. that's one side. the nut is then attacked with a 1/2"x18" breaker bar with a socket. the nut come right off. be sure to clear the safety washer before starting to remove the nut.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
I rode to a local mechanic and he hit it with his impact gun. I hand tightened it and rode back home. He didnt charge me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,043 Posts
heres what you do:
put bike on stands
use 3ft breaker bar attach to sprocket
sit on bike and put your right hand on the left handle bar
stand on the rear brake pedal while pulling up on the breaker bar with your left hand to loosen the sprocket bolt

**note**
make sure to adjust the washer to allow the bolt to spin*

if you dont got it already, the 3ft breaker bar is a must have for the garage anyways
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
732 Posts
leemille said:
i wrap an old piece of chain around the socket, clamp it with a pair of vice grips and stick an 18" breaker bar thru the vice grips. that's one side. the nut is then attacked with a 1/2"x18" breaker bar with a socket. the nut come right off. be sure to clear the safety washer before starting to remove the nut.
Now, I don't know shit, but I worked on helicopters for 10 years and this sounds like the best way. This way, the counter torque is absorbed by the chain on the old sprocket and none of your internals get hit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, thanks for the suggestions, I finally got it off, but lost a few tools in the process.
Here's the story in pictures

3 ft long extender


The result after the first try :badteeth:


Ok, got a heavier gauge handle for use with the extender. The result :eek:


Ok, put a new extension piece on. Get neighbour hammer on the socket while I apply the torque. Success at last:smile:


Now, next problem is even with rear wheel adjusted all the way in I just cannot get the stupid chain off. Guess I'll have to take the rear sprocket off as well. Sigh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,537 Posts
and after you remove the sprocket then what?? the chain will not come off, unless of course you plan to remove the swingarm that is. Sooooooooo using a chain breaker tool, die grinder or the like is whats needed to remove it.

BD
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top