Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the importance of the chain/sprocket cover. My chain snapped at the last trackday I did and it ripped up the cover in like 5 pieces. I have heard you really don't need the cover as many guys run without them. I know that the speed sensor attatches to the cover as well but I don't need this for track days as I just need to see the tack and such. I ordered a new cover but it will not be here in time for my next trackday. Do you think it will be ok without one? A few guys have said to just toss it and that I didn't need it but more info would be appreciated on this matter.
Thanks

J.J.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
agent my only thought would be, what would have been damaged if you didn't have the sprocket cover this time??? perhaps that cover saved something unforseable. :dontknow:

BD

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
BD makes a good point (chain meeting foot...bad), but like you said most race bikes don't have them.. keep in mind how clean most race bike chains are, without the cover chain maintenance becomes more important

Was the chain that broke the stock one??? how many miles on it???have you had it apart????

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
1rocket69 said:
BD makes a good point (chain meeting foot...bad), but like you said most race bikes don't have them.. keep in mind how clean most race bike chains are, without the cover chain maintenance becomes more important

Was the chain that broke the stock one??? how many miles on it???have you had it apart????
The chain was a DID 525erv and it broke on the master link which was a rivet type. It was my 8th trackday with the chain and I keep it perfectly clean and oiled. I have never had it apart. Not sure if this mattered but the tech guy made me loosen my chain a bit. I have had it where it was for every trackday and it passed tech fine but he made me loosen it a bit. Not sure if that had to do anything with it or maybe it wasn't riveted properly or there was a defect with the rivet?

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah chain meeting foot would not be good but i it didn't break the cover towards my foot. It just cracked the upper mount area directly above the chain in a few pieces and then put a hole through my fiberglass tail section bottom and top and scratched the swingarm and rim a tad.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big Daddy said:
agent my only thought would be, what would have been damaged if you didn't have the sprocket cover this time??? perhaps that cover saved something unforseable. :dontknow:

BD
Thought about it but there is still a metal bracket that loops around the sprocket and that should stop any damage toward the front of the bike. I am getting a new cover but it just won't be in time for my next trackday is all. Thanks for the info and I will take a better look at it tonight.:thumbsup:

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It snapped under hard accelleration shifting from 2nd to 3rd at about 120mph. Luckily I was on the straight away when it happened.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
something else to think about... Ivan told me the bike richens the map with speed. If that is so, removing the speed sensor would cause you to run lean on top.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
miykl said:
something else to think about... Ivan told me the bike richens the map with speed. If that is so, removing the speed sensor would cause you to run lean on top.
That is interesting.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
miykl said:
should be easy to verify on a dyno equiped with a sniffer. Just do a pull with the speed sensor, then one w/o.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
zx10ragentorange said:
Thought about it but there is still a metal bracket that loops around the sprocket and that should stop any damage toward the front of the bike. I am getting a new cover but it just won't be in time for my next trackday is all. Thanks for the info and I will take a better look at it tonight.:thumbsup:
That metal brkt helps but won't eliminate the potential for the chain to destroyed your cases.
:idea: maybe 2 metal brkts together.

BD

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Big Daddy said:
That metal brkt helps but won't eliminate the potential for the chain to destroyed your cases.
:idea: maybe 2 metal brkts together.

BD
If'n ya gonna do all that, why not just replace the cover?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Well the cover is plastic and the metal resides inside of it so if Agent was considering not using a cover perhaps a second metal brkt to help protect the casings in the event of another chain failure is all,..........quit fuggen wit me ya damn hoe!!

BD

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Big Daddy said:
Well the cover is plastic and the metal resides inside of it so if Agent was considering not using a cover perhaps a second metal brkt to help protect the casings in the event of another chain failure is all,..........quit fuggen wit me ya damn hoe!!

BD
Thanks for the idea BD but now I am worried about it running lean. Thanks alot Mikyl:mrgreen:

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Big Daddy said:

BD
Are you sure it's plastic? I don't remember it being pastic. hmmm... gonna have to go take a lookey when I get home. If I remember correctly there is a metal guard between the chain and the motor housing.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
miykl said:
Are you sure it's plastic? I don't remember it being pastic. hmmm... gonna have to go take a lookey when I get home. If I remember correctly there is a metal guard between the chain and the motor housing.
Yeah it's metal

1 - 20 of 22 Posts