Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to adjust my 06 ZX10R in, and went to adjust spring preload. I'm turning and turning, trying to drop the groove notch down, gonna even up other side of course, but it's not moving. Look in the owners manual and it says there is only .2 ~.7 adjusting range. Could someone post a how to for this somewhat lame question. Hate to think I am messing up my front end. The compression and rebound are no brainers. Thanks and peace:cool:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Someone please help out here. I have been riding after messing with, no problems, I just want to know how to adjust these spring preload. If I understand correctly there is only about an inch or so to move and adjust. This makes no sense to me though. I assume you get both sides even by adjusting with the groove marks. Dunno..Thanks

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about this. Could someone give me a reference point for a 180LBS rider. Thanks

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
First of all, please double check your owners manual and make sure you are attempting to make this adjustment correctly. Secondly, if/when you turn the adjuster on your other front fork preload, does it move? If so you might have a broken adjuster.....

I weigh about 192-195 with full gear. Running 120/70 and 190/50 Pilot Power tires so I recently had to adjust mine a bit from my DQ setup.

Front preload = 3 lines showing (about 35-36 mm front sag).
Rear preload = about 23 mm of thread showing (30-31 mm rear sag).
Started with stock (see owners manual) front and rear compression/rebound damping settings. From stock I wound up taking out 2 clicks (softer) of front compression damping and adding one click (stiffer) of front rebound damping. It's not a perfect setup, but much closer that the houncy bouncy stock setup. Still tweakin' it though....

Good luck!
D

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent information, thanks. Nothing is broken, I just never adjusted this area before. Peace

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cdan turn it of course. My concern was a was making complete revolutions turning this in (or out). And the manual says only an inch of adjustment (up or down). I have them back where I started from. Came from dealer with 7 lines showing. Do you turn these adjusters all the way around to adjust? I guess this is my question finally. Sorry for the book. Peace

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
blackisfaster said:
I cdan turn it of course. My concern was a was making complete revolutions turning this in (or out). And the manual says only an inch of adjustment (up or down). I have them back where I started from. Came from dealer with 7 lines showing. Do you turn these adjusters all the way around to adjust? I guess this is my question finally. Sorry for the book. Peace
Yes. They basically screw up or down just like a threaded bolt would. 7 Lines was way too soft for me, so for example if you wanna stiffen up the front a bit, just crank the 14mm bolt head down until only 6 lines are showing, etc, etc...

D

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that is clear, I thought it was way to soft. Get excessive bobbing at straight high speed. Thanks

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put 14mm socket on adjuster turned down to 5 threads showing, I swear it is a differnet bike. Wish everything could be this easy. Thanks for the excellent info. Peace

1 - 11 of 11 Posts