Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few pics of my 07 Front Rotors after running a set of Galfer Gold Pads.

These pics are after about 50 miles on a set of new factory pads. As you can see the Galfer pads did not make full contact with the rotors and badly groved the rotors. I was very suprised with the poor performance of the Galfer Pads.

This brings me to my Question: Before I buy a set of new rortors,,, does anyone know if the Galfer Rotors wear any better with the Galfer Pads? or,, Are the Galfer pads that much harder that they just wear through rotors quickly??

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
no pads should be wearing through rotors. if they are i would suggest trying new pads. i have no experience with galfer pad, i luv my vesrahs though.

are you sure the color isnt glazed onto the surface of the rotor??

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I noticed that the EBC HH pads put a lot more heat into the rotor(proportional to the better stopping power) as compared to the oem pads. I have heard from a few guys that the high end galfer pads wear the rotors faster, but that is the trade off if you want better brakes.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no pads should be wearing through rotors. if they are i would suggest trying new pads. i have no experience with galfer pad, i luv my vesrahs though.

are you sure the color isnt glazed onto the surface of the rotor??
The color you see is surface rust where the current pads are not making contact.

I may switch to Galfer silver or black pads,, but I would sure hate to get another set of rotors and have the same thing happen. A set of tires and brake pads every 6 months I expect --- rotors too ,,would suck

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oncycle.com has Alth full float front rotor sets for $172.00 w/free shipping. I bought the smooth cuts...they are just as good as Brembo.
How long have you had the Alth rotors?? What pads are you using with them?? and ,,, What makes you say they are as good as Brembo's

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
If i put a set of EBC HH pads on will i run into the same problem ?
No problems as of yet for me. only better stopping power compared to the oem pads. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
How long have you had the Alth rotors?? What pads are you using with them?? and ,,, What makes you say they are as good as Brembo's
I rode a 1098S not to long ago with the Whole brembo setup and I've riden an 04 zx10 with a complete brembo kit....

Here's my setup:

Brembo RCS master cylinder
Steel braded lines
Nissin Calipers
EBC pads
Alth rotors

The was another member here from Italy who said that they were the biggest seller over there if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
987 Posts
oncycle.com has Alth full float front rotor sets for $172.00 w/free shipping. I bought the smooth cuts...they are just as good as Brembo.
got mine in the mail today, pedal cut thou. should be on tomorrow

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just switched to the EBC pads last week and so far I'm happy. I will keep an eye on how they wear but don't expect problems

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered the Alth "pedal cut" Rotors. Not sure which pads I'll try yet. EBC, Galpher "Silver or Black" or OEM? It's a hard trade off, Super responsive brakes,, or,, Durability. Of course I want both :lol:

·
Chairman of the Board
16,081 Posts
Ive had EBC for a while now, no problems here. Something is definately not right with your set up though. Im curious, those are not stock calipers, did you order the pad to fit those calipers or the pads that fit your bike? Or are they the same pad? :dontknow:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive had EBC for a while now, no problems here. Something is definately not right with your set up though. Im curious, those are not stock calipers, did you order the pad to fit those calipers or the pads that fit your bike? Or are they the same pad? :dontknow:
The calipers are off of a 08 ZX6,,, The pads too are for a 08 ZX6. The pads are the same size, only a slight difference in the pad backing plate.

·
Registered
65 Posts
wow bro thats nuts.....i cant really help ya there because i dony know to much about them but i am glad i looked so i dont make the same mistake

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed a set of Alth Rotors and went with the Galfer "Gold" brake pads again,, I really like the stopping power of the Gold pads,,, Time will tell how these rotors stand up to them.

Thats not rust on the rotor,,, thats just a reflection off the ground

1 - 20 of 52 Posts