Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay so i got 5cm to 10cm size of rim bump on my gen4 zx10r. But from inner layer of rim is stright and no bump at all. Just rim on side layer is lowkey out. Should i replace it with new rim or gonna effect the bike? My bike already has ohlins steering damper and even i took to 250km/hr but didn't felt any bump or sm like that. Need help!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread

·
Registered
5 Posts
IMO, the biggest issue you have is knowing whether or not the wheel has fractures in it that are obscured by paint. An X ray could determine that.
There are businesses that will X ray and return a salvageable rim to as normal as possible.
Have you considered finding a used rim?
Next I would ask if you replaced the tire after this incident? The pic tire looks new.
I personally would determine what is the cheaper option between the following and go that route:
  1. Replace wheel with new or used wheel and include new bearings and seals.
  2. Have wheel X ray examined and if good, reconditioned.
Did you inspect the bearings for any notching?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
You shouldn't be riding like that! As above potentially the wheel could fail on a bike when there's only 2 off them its normally at least expensive, often also painful and possibly deadly. Source a good second hand one while the damaged one "And It Is Damaged" is inspected if repaired sell it to redeem some money.

·
The Pace
7,206 Posts
Buy replacement and take that one to a wheel smith to see what he thinks about recovery. Wheel smiths are getting scarce so may have to ship it if you can't find one in your area. For replacement, check moto salvage guys. They ship. I went with Hayward salvage for two wheels and they came thru perfectly. Also, not sure of what happened, but my first thought was too low psi on the front; I'm thinking you had 20 psi or so. Let us know what you put into that tire so others can learn whatever.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Wheel needs to be replaced before you ride it. Aside from structural damage that can cause it to come apart, the lip seals the tire bead for air. Under stress of riding, the tire will flex and deform and the bead can break free and cause catastrophic deflation. That would be somewhat manageable on the rear, but with the front you'll be eating asphalt pretty quick. Don't chance it.

Off the grid

Reactions: Kamikaze

·
The Pace
7,206 Posts
Happened to me. Bent my rim, but I didn't notice it. Eventually, I was riding it and the tire totally disintegrated. Very scary and I am thankful neither I or the bike went down.

Tire blowout destroyed the bike's booty | Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum
You hit something, that's when have to stop and check at least front. I hit a huge rock hidden in shadow at lower speed, tight twist, but with throttle. Almost knocked me out; on the '11 10r. Np with wheel, which shocked me big time. HOWEVER, at that time I was running Q2 Dunlop. A few months later, I always run one of two long loops, I arrive safely home; while cleaning the bugs off the bike, there stuck in that Q2 tire was a huge rock. From memory, at least 2 inches by 1.5 inches. Never felt anything and psi was normal. Possible it was a Q3 tire, but stopped running dumlops and stopped running Michelin a few months later; that's a different tale.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts