Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

really stuck and getting peeved finally

Bikes been pretty good since she was sorted out back end of last year. early in the year i changed back to a stock chain and sproket set... since then i know i need to sort out the chain length but i really doubt it's got anything to do with the fact that the old lady starts up fine most of the time but after the choke settles she starts revving really low and with a small rev or just rolling towards the lights she shuts off completely.

been looking at other threads on here... could be a stator... could be the regulator... could be she needs a service... could be an electrical...

i've had the battery off and charged over night... since then she's started fine but the random engine cutting out still happens... really could use some help if anyone has experienced this before...

thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also forgot to mention... that when she dies she's really difficult to get started again... and sometimes when she does restart it's resets the time and the trip and goes back to the first screen...

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,560 Posts
First thing is to check the idle speed adjustment. What is it set to right now? From your description, the engine is stalling out from low revs and that causes excess unburned fuel in the cylinders which makes it hard to start back up. The prolonged restart is dragging down the battery voltage causing the indicator to reset when it gets power back to it. Try raising the idle speed a bit first to continue troubleshooting the potential issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First thing is to check the idle speed adjustment. What is it set to right now? From your description, the engine is stalling out from low revs and that causes excess unburned fuel in the cylinders which makes it hard to start back up. The prolonged restart is dragging down the battery voltage causing the indicator to reset when it gets power back to it. Try raising the idle speed a bit first to continue troubleshooting the potential issue.

thanks will have a mosey when i get back

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,560 Posts
Idle speed should be set to 1,150 +-50rpm from the factory when warmed up. It should never fall below 1,000 hot or cold. The idle-up circuit will keep it well above that when it's warming up and it should fall back to the 1,1100-1,200 range when normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts