Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought my first zx10r and i am new to this forum. Thanks for accepting me.
I am a shortie and do not have a problem with the bike's height when riding weekends. I do have a problem using my bike as a daily commute through busy traffic.
I have lowering links for the back. But i have a problem with the front. I cannot push the forks through because the electronic steering damper sits over one of the forks.
What can I do to lower the front?
Thank you in advance.

·
Formerly "bms"
416 Posts
Hi, I just bought my first zx10r and i am new to this forum. Thanks for accepting me.
I am a shortie and do not have a problem with the bike's height when riding weekends. I do have a problem using my bike as a daily commute through busy traffic.
I have lowering links for the back. But i have a problem with the front. I cannot push the forks through because the electronic steering damper sits over one of the forks.
Thank you in advance.
How tall are you?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,625 Posts

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the party!

The easiest thing to do is remove the damper. If you absolutely have to have one, then an aftermarket rotary style damper like the GPR can be used. Otherwise you're going to have to get shorter/cut springs for the internals depending on how low you need it.

Frankly, I'd just learn to hang off the side of the bike more when I stopped. And get some blocks for the bottom off my shoes.:lol:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Maybe the Showa BPF can be changed internally to drop the ride height. I was watching a Dave Moss video where he spoke about doing that to a different bike by doing something with an existing internal spacer. This same method is frequently used to lower cruiser forks and on café racer builds.

·
The Pace
6,933 Posts
Don't lower this bike. You're having problems for one reason: you don't know the bike. Wait and practice and take classes and study.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am leaning towards replacing the damper with an aftermarket. And then pushing the forks through.
However, disconnecting the damper throws up an engine red waring light. How do i prevent the warning?
I tried searching for a resistor that would do it, but there is very little on this topic anywhere.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you in advance.
I'm 5'4 and when I first got my bike about a month ago I was uncomfortable in traffic also. After getting some seat time you get used to putting one foot down. Since you just got it I would wait before doing anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought i close this query by telling you what i did.
1. using rear preload the back lowered by around 115mm (i also backed off the rebound to compensate for less preload).
2. raised the electronic steering damper by using longer screws and a nut with a couple of washers between the damper and the steering stem.
3. raised the forks by 100mm.
4. reduced the front preload by 15mm ( i also backed off a little rebound to compensate for less preload).

I still want a further 75mm-100mm, but for now this is much better. I will wait a while and if i decide to lower further I can always look at shaving a bit of the seat.

·
The Pace
6,933 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am leaning towards replacing the damper with an aftermarket. And then pushing the forks through.
However, disconnecting the damper throws up an engine red waring light. How do i prevent the warning?
I tried searching for a resistor that would do it, but there is very little on this topic anywhere.
Don't touch the damper! g4 doesn't need it but it does look cool. Seriously, just slowly ride the bike and take classes and read twist wrist II a few thousand times while slowly applying the concepts and continue to ask whatever question you want answer for as someone here will most certainly agree with whatever you really want to do!

Or, just listen to me and take the easy and rational path. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts