Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a front fork spring compresion tool to change oil and do oil seals??? If so, how much/ and were to get them from??? like you see in the work shop manual!!

Brendan

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Umm yes you do coz you need to take the top of the dampening and preload nut that big head comes off and you need to compress the spring to get to the nut i have done one side of my fork with alot of hard work, i made a tool to compress it got there in the end to change the fork seal,
other wise you cant get the fork seal out.

Brendan

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dreadnought-arr said:
Loosen cap,remove fork~have friend to help,, unthread cap~turn upside down,drain oil~remove bottom allen screw the cartridge will now slide out.

So there isnt presure on the botom allen key bolt from the spring??? if it was that easy why didnt the manual show you that, but when you drain the oil out you are changing it, so you need to take the spring off. so you can get the air bubbles out??? right or wrong!

Brendan

·
Registered
583 Posts
Brendan ZX-10R said:
So there isnt presure on the botom allen key bolt from the spring??? if it was that easy why didnt the manual show you that, but when you drain the oil out you are changing it, so you need to take the spring off. so you can get the air bubbles out??? right or wrong!

Brendan
Well your on the right train of thought following the service manual instructions but it will bleed out with-out jacking it off. Try some 7wt oil too! Think you will like it.,Traxion spring compressor tool (the cheap one) will only work right with cartridge out of tube FYI. If I'm wrong somebody throw me a bone please.......:rolleyes:With top cap loose there is no pressure on bottom allen screw..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
your right that traxion tool wont work.. as i made a tool like that to go in those holes in the tube and it bottomed out on outer tube.

Brendna

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you do not have a bench mounted fork spring compressor the Traxxion tool works if you have two people doing the work. You use the Traxxion tool to push the spring spacer down as far as it will go. The second person pulls up on the fork cap to compress the top out spring [negative spring]. You will then have enough room to insert an open end wrench on the jam nut that secures the damping rod to the fork cap. You also need to back the spring preload adjusters out all the way before you remove the fork caps. We change springs at the track a bunch using only the Traxxion spring compressor.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Fork spring rate depends on rider weight and track type.
Stock springs are .925 on the 04/05. We use anything from .90 to 1.0.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts