Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a new to me '08 ZX10R with revalved/rebuilt suspension by a reputable tuner.

The problem - While off the brakes and no to low throttle the front end chatters going into corners. No chatter while on the brakes or on the gas - just the freewheeling moment going into corners.

I've checked/tightened up the head bearings with no effect. We've increased the rebound thinking that the springs may be topping out with marginal improvements - feels more like a bandaid than a solution.

Brand new pads with OEM rotors. When I replaced the pads I noticed that the pads did not fully cover the rotor. There was an 1/8" of material on the top unused leaving a lip that the top of the rotors would have to turn under. With new pads not worn in yet I'm thinking this could be an issue. Is this normal?

The bike had been lowsided and I plan on getting it checked out, but I thought that I'd see if this was an inherent issue with this model.
:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
222 Posts
wow never had that I usually get chatter with hard braking. and I dont have an '08 so I'm just offering some things to try. might be that your forks are damaged because of the crash and as a result you are getting more stiction in one fork than the other. you would want to take the forks out and test for damage, then reinstall as straight as you can get them.

other possibilities to tune out are to decrease compression damping on the front or add preload on the rear. dropping the forks in the triples a mm or so can give you another way to test.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
It's a new to me '08 ZX10R with revalved/rebuilt suspension by a reputable tuner.

The problem - While off the brakes and no to low throttle the front end chatters going into corners. No chatter while on the brakes or on the gas - just the freewheeling moment going into corners.

I've checked/tightened up the head bearings with no effect. We've increased the rebound thinking that the springs may be topping out with marginal improvements - feels more like a bandaid than a solution.

Brand new pads with OEM rotors. When I replaced the pads I noticed that the pads did not fully cover the rotor. There was an 1/8" of material on the top unused leaving a lip that the top of the rotors would have to turn under. With new pads not worn in yet I'm thinking this could be an issue. Is this normal?

The bike had been lowsided and I plan on getting it checked out, but I thought that I'd see if this was an inherent issue with this model.
:eek:ccasion1

make sure you have the right rotors for your gen........IE: 300mm-310mm-320mm and for the latter, i'd be willing to bet a fork got tweaked during the lowside or maybe the lower tree? just a thought?

·
Registered
238 Posts

Don't freewheel into corners. Accelerate longer and brake later. Carry the front brake into the corner and gradually let off as you add lean angle. No more freewheeling=no chatter=now you are faster. Problem solved.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The forks were checked when rebuilt so they're fine, and I bounced the front end a few times before cinching the axle bolts. Clamps/frame may be bent, but that usually causes different problems elsewhere.

I strongly suspect something funky with brakes. I have a spare wheel and rotors on the way so I'll compare the two and report back.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ok..

I am going to reply to this..

I have a Gen 3 also-new to me..

I am not sure if what you are calling "chatter" is really -well,CHATTER..

I have experienced chatter on a 125GP machine and what would happen is the front and rear tire's would literally "skip" on the pavement when leaned over driving hard in a corner.The sound was -"CHA-CHA-CHA-CHA...."

Ok.Now here is why I am replying..

When I charge hard up to a corner-roll off/trail brake right before I lay it in I hear a sound from front tire -like a low -Errr-Err-Err-Err...The only other way I can describe it is if you watch a Supermoto video like a home made one and you hear the sound of the 450 backing it in-that "chirping"/skiddering err err err THAT's what mine is doing..Almost like the front tire is losing traction But I know I am still straight up and down.. Could the OEM springs be too stiff-and it is losing traction? I have all but 1 line of preloade showing-my compression is is 7 out from full stiff and I know I can't make my sag #.I am at 170Lbs today..

I noticed that my front brake pads are VERY thin and worn out..

Any thoughts?

·
11,423 Posts
Don't freewheel into corners. Accelerate longer and brake later. Carry the front brake into the corner and gradually let off as you add lean angle. No more freewheeling=no chatter=now you are faster. Problem solved.:eek:ccasion1
To each his own, his riding "style" isn't what is causing the issues. what makes you fast or works for you may be horrid for others and actually slow them down.:heyyou:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Chatter = heavy vibration through the bars.

Tire wear looks great. I know these bikes are notorious for the axle block marks being way off, but everything here checked out alright.

The worst place it does it is going into T2 at Infinion where things get real light. No problem hard on the brakes into T7. This is at an AMA back-marker pace of 1:45s. We are looking into the springs being too stiff, but all other metrics point to them being correct.

I suspect it has something to do with the wave rotors not sweeping across the entire face of the pad. There's also an outside chance that it's a bum tire but then it should cause problems at higher speeds.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Judging by your description i would say that you might have 300mm rotors when the third gens came with 310mm rotors....Also it is common for brake pads to be noisy when rubbing rotors. Its a race bike and not a lexus.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
but would smaller rotors cause vibration? I dont think they would, unless they were rubbing the bottom of the pads?? Maybe the chatter is just your fork being way too stiff???

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Also try taking the calipers apart and making sure all the pins are inserted properly...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Chatter = heavy vibration through the bars.

This is at an AMA back-marker pace of 1:45s.

Damn-Also I need to hit a track day when your there...I could only manage a 1:55 on my 04 ZX10.. Seems Like this 08 I have is much more stable though.I really would like to see if I can go lower times on this new one.

·
11,423 Posts
It still seems like the 1st and obvious thing hasn't been answered....has the frame-neck-forks-triples-front rim been checked after the low side you mentioned having?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It still seems like the 1st and obvious thing hasn't been answered....has the frame-neck-forks-triples-front rim been checked after the low side you mentioned having?
...The bike had been lowsided and I plan on getting it checked out, but I thought that I'd see if this was an inherent issue with this model...
I still haven't had a chance to get up to the frame shop as work is busy for the next week or two. The rim checked out fine - everything else is still suspect.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn-Also I need to hit a track day when your there...I could only manage a 1:55 on my 04 ZX10.. Seems Like this 08 I have is much more stable though.I really would like to see if I can go lower times on this new one.
I'm going to try to get at least another day in soon. I'll let you know when I sort that out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I was going through old documents and found a troubleshooting chart that may be of interest. it talks specifically about neutral throttle chatter mid corner. the answer: geometry (front and rear ride height).

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
I was going through old documents and found a troubleshooting chart that may be of interest. it talks specifically about neutral throttle chatter mid corner. the answer: geometry (front and rear ride height).
Great F-ing chart man!..
Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a cool chart, Slinkt!

I just checked my rotors and they look to be the 300mm units, and that would explain a lot. I have some track time this weekend so I'll keep you all posted.

·
11,423 Posts
Great F-ing chart man!..
Thanks for posting!
That's a cool chart, Slinkt!

I just checked my rotors and they look to be the 300mm units, and that would explain a lot. I have some track time this weekend so I'll keep you all posted.
:+1:......:ayyy:..rep sent slinkt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts