Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I crashed on the left side of my 2006 zx10 and got it fixed after about 6 months in storage. Taking the bike for a test ride the front brakes locked up almost throwing me over the handlebars. I change the calipers and put braided lines on. Rode for about 100 miles and the front brakes locked up on me again. Can anybody help me, please?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I crashed on the left side of my 2006 zx10 and got it fixed after about 6 months in storage. Taking the bike for a test ride the front brakes locked up almost throwing me over the handlebars. I change the calipers and put braided lines on. Rode for about 100 miles and the front brakes locked up on me again. Can anybody help me, please?
check under the lever to see if the banjo bolt is interfering with the operation of the master cylinder..
if not
then open a bleeder to see if the master cylinder is binding, you should be able to pump brake fluid out with relative ease.
if not
then you're on to checking the calipers. are the pads binding or are the pistons binding...

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Got those cheap ebay shorty levers? If not installed properly they apply slight pressure there's a thread or two on it here somewhere. Otherwise I'd say air is trapped somewhere and expanding with heat. Brakes drag just a little no matter what, and if there's air in the lines it will expand. What's your entire brake setup?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put calipers on from a same year bike as mind because he was upgrading his and I put new braided lines on, but I do have eBay shortly levers on
how did you know. What can I do to fix the problem?

·
Registered
53 Posts
check under the lever to see if the banjo bolt is interfering with the operation of the master cylinder..
if not
then open a bleeder to see if the master cylinder is binding, you should be able to pump brake fluid out with relative ease.
if not
then you're on to checking the calipers. are the pads binding or are the pistons binding...
yup I would check the lever after powdercoating mine they did the same thing this past weekend. luckly I was on the road and noticed it before a disaster, my lever needed to be removed and the the bolt adjusted and made sure it was lined up and whalah all set to go

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
You put stainless lines and changed calipers .. is this first ride on this brake setup .. The stainless setup bits way more than oem.. also did you properly set your new brake pads..

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
I put calipers on from a same year bike as mind because he was upgrading his and I put new braided lines on, but I do have eBay shortly levers on
how did you know. What can I do to fix the problem?
Just seems like everyone is buying them, and the problem you are having sounds like the symptoms of those levers being installed wrong . did you put the levers on before or after the wreck? Pazzos........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put the shortly levers on after I wrecked. I looked over the levers and nothing seems to be In the way.I had a different kind of after market levers on before I wrecked. Like I said before I changed the brake lines and calipers, the only thing I didn't change was the master cylinder because fluid was flowing throughout the lines pretty well.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
The only way for pressure to build up in the brake system, is for the master cylinder plunger to be slightly depressed.

Your shorty levers are not allowing the plunger in the master cylinder to fully release.

Seen it many times before. Seen someone go head-over-heels on the main straightaway of a race track because of this.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Use the search function, and LOOK. There are several threads on how to properly install those knock off levers. I still don't understand how people trust those things?? Basically there's a detent that pushes the plunger, it goes one of two ways, you have it the wrong way. Id be willing to bet that you have air trapped somewhere based on your skill level of comprehension.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a yellow 2006 zx 10r, do anyone knows if there is any matching riding gear (jackets, suits) besides basic black. Anyone that has one knows the color is hard to match up

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
its the plunger. it isnt seated right in the grommit. I had the same problem. the levers arent the problem, u just didnt seat the plunger all the way in the grommit so its letting a little bit of fluid down into the brakes, and the more u ride the quicker itll lock up

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1740025#post1740025

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yes, thanks Bigcat I have fixed the problem. Do u know where I can find matching gear for the yellow 2006 zx 10r. (Pear solar yellow)?

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
icon has some jackets that would go with it, i have a black monster jacket for mine

1 - 17 of 17 Posts