Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to ride my track bike(04 Suz gsxr600) the other day and noticed that I had almost no front brakes, I could pull the lever almost to the bar. I bleed the brakes and rode the bike and had no problems. A few days later I check them and no front brakes again. I changed the bleeders, bleed them and a few days later no front brakes.:dontknow:

The brakes and lines are all stock. Give me some ideas on what you guys think it could be, before I begin replacing things. I am leaning towards the lines being the problem.:dontknow:

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
You have got to have a leak somewhere, I suggest you pump the lever till you get feel, put a zip tie aroung the lever and the bar and leave the bike for a while, if you have a leak somewhere when you get back it should be evident by brake fluid all over the place. Should be fairly easy to find if you clean and dry every junction on the b rake system.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It could be the seal inside the master cylinder bleeding off. As the internal seal on the piston in the master cylinder gets older they get hard, and will work while you are using them, but when you let them sit they let the fluid bleed off back into the res.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have got to have a leak somewhere, I suggest you pump the lever till you get feel, put a zip tie aroung the lever and the bar and leave the bike for a while, if you have a leak somewhere when you get back it should be evident by brake fluid all over the place. Should be fairly easy to find if you clean and dry every junction on the b rake system.
Thanks for the idea. I will bleed'em and zip tie the lever. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could be the seal inside the master cylinder bleeding off. As the internal seal on the piston in the master cylinder gets older they get hard, and will work while you are using them, but when you let them sit they let the fluid bleed off back into the res.
I guess there is no way of really testing if it is the seal?? If I don't find a leak with the zip tie on the lever after a day or so, I will start looking for a new master cylinder.:sad:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Did the zip tie on the lever get loose? When you took it off was there still a firm lever? Could be the MC needs a rebuild, could also be the seals leaking at the calipers.

Take off the calipers and check for weeping around the seals, then do a runout check on the rotors.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did the zip tie on the lever get loose? When you took it off was there still a firm lever? Could be the MC needs a rebuild, could also be the seals leaking at the calipers.

Take off the calipers and check for weeping around the seals, then do a runout check on the rotors.
I don't use a zip tie when I bleed the brakes. As posted above I will use the zip tie to look for leaks. If I don't find any leaks with the zip tie I will take the calipers off to look at the seals and if they are fine I guess that means it is the MC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts