Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my front brakes feel so spungy and dont feel like they should be, are they just crappy from the factory or should i get different pads?

·
Registered
677 Posts
My brakes on my 07 feel the same way. i call pull the lever all the way to the grip. but the bike has plenty of stopping power. i was wanting to do different pads and lines.

Does your 04 stop well?

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
the 04'-05' has the worst brakes known to the sportbike world!! but nothing a simplt radial master cylinder swap won't fix. if you're able to pull the lever into the grip then either adjust the lever out some and/or bleed the brakes. changing the pads couldn't hurt if it's time?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Oh its time to change pads.

And i dont think they need bled. But its something easy to do, so i'll give it a try. but i def want to up grade the master cylinder someday.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Oh its time to change pads.

And i dont think they need bled. But its something easy to do, so i'll give it a try. but i def want to up grade the master cylinder someday.
simply swapping the MC on the 1st gen to a radial unti will make a huge difference in the brakes........everyone does the calipers but there's really nothing wrong with them.....kawi put radial calipers on the bike but chose to ran them with a regular master instead of using a radial? probably the same bonehead made that decision that didn't think they should put a steering damper on the damn thing!!:lol:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Maybe I’m just very lucky, but the brakes on my 05 are amazing.

I was going to start a thread about what’s wrong with the first gen brakes, as I was wondering what the problem was. I’ve rode all the same year and newer R1’s, GSX and CBR 1 litre bikes and my 05 will out stop them all. I don’t get any fading even braking hard from 170 mph, the brakes feel hard and even the slightest tough of the front level will have your eyeballs popping out of your head.

As far as I’m aware the brake system is stock. The rotors and calipers are for sure. Not sure about the brake pads though and I’m beginning to think they might be carbon fiber, as when you apply the front brake it sounds like the pads are completely worn out and you get that metal to metal grinding sound. I did take all the pads out and none were very worn at all, so I don’t know why I get the grinding noise. But still, I could not wish for better braking.

·
Registered
222 Posts
this is been discussed to death in other threads. I will just say that it is possible to get great braking with the stock setup...but it needs to be bled right and the fluid should be changed if you are using the OEM stuff. I use brembo radial MC and SS lines with vesrah RJL on stock calipers and it is mind blowing stopping power, but you can do fine with stock. the brembo gives you even more power and adjustable feel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
HAHA, there is a rediculously large thread, by Ervins, called "The brakes are fixed!" Check it out, tons of great info. And yes, radial MC FTW!

fine, here :wink:
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60215&highlight=brakes+fixed
that link is good but doesn't really help with gen 1. they go on about the calipers being 4 pad and 2 pad being better but the gen 1 is 2 pad.

i've looked around and asked heaps of people as my brakes r f#cken shit house. looking at geting a R1 M/c as they r bembro.

has anyone else done this mod with the R1 m/c??

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
the 04'-05' has the worst brakes known to the sportbike world!! but nothing a simplt radial master cylinder swap won't fix. if you're able to pull the lever into the grip then either adjust the lever out some and/or bleed the brakes. changing the pads couldn't hurt if it's time?
:thumbsup:

That's what I did...Master cylinder/SS lines/ Pads...and now they are one finger brakes and solid.

There must be a gajillion brake threads on this site...different ways for different uses.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
simply swapping the MC on the 1st gen to a radial unti will make a huge difference in the brakes........everyone does the calipers but there's really nothing wrong with them.....kawi put radial calipers on the bike but chose to ran them with a regular master instead of using a radial? probably the same bonehead made that decision that didn't think they should put a steering damper on the damn thing!!:lol:
I disagree on the calipers! My 07 had the radial master and my brakes still sucked once warmed up. A set of nissin's off an zx14 made a huge difference!!! But why stop there lol, ss lines, brembo RCS, alth rotors and some gold galfer pads and wow, finally the brakes I wanted this whole time!!! Lol!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
this is been discussed to death in other threads. I will just say that it is possible to get great braking with the stock setup...but it needs to be bled right and the fluid should be changed if you are using the OEM stuff. I use brembo radial MC and SS lines with vesrah RJL on stock calipers and it is mind blowing stopping power, but you can do fine with stock. the brembo gives you even more power and adjustable feel.
Gotta start with the basics.

If that is the original brake fluid then it is long overdue to be changed. Do that, bledd the hell outta the system and see how she stops.

Changing the lines to stainless will help with some feel as well - I think Kawi recommends replacing the stock rubber lines at the 7 year mark so those are basically due for replacement as well.

Just my .02

·
Registered
561 Posts
My brakes were extremely slushy on my '04. I changed my calipers to zx14 units up front and a black 06+ zx10r rear (just so the colors matched) with Galfer SS lines, EBC pads and all new fluid. I didn't replace the master cylinder and the lever has only a hair of travel before it bites firm.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I disagree on the calipers! My 07 had the radial master and my brakes still sucked once warmed up. A set of nissin's off an zx14 made a huge difference!!! But why stop there lol, ss lines, brembo RCS, alth rotors and some gold galfer pads and wow, finally the brakes I wanted this whole time!!! Lol!!
:+1:
Have an 05' zx10r, started with SS lines.. Still crap, then 06 zx10r M/C, still CRAP, then 06-07 calipers,, Still CRAPP, then finally the Nissin calipers.. FINALLY got the brakes that this bike deserves.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
So to make a long story short, ya'll say to,

use (any year) ZX14 calipers, and a 06-07 ZX10R M/C and S/S lines?

·
Registered
123 Posts
07 zx6r calipers will work as well, that's what i have on my bike and it's amazing, along with SS lines and zx6r mc.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
So to make a long story short, ya'll say to,

use (any year) ZX14 calipers, and a 06-07 ZX10R M/C and S/S lines?
U got it.:thumbsup: any zx6r 07-10 M/c or zx14 M/c will work also. This will help find a better price on ebay or the forum.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts