Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed quite a few complaints about the stock front brake setup on our gen 4's and i'm looking for reasonable/cheap solution. Ive already upgraded to the spiegler lines along with rbf600 fluid change and I cant say I'm very happy. Extremely spongy, or maybe I should rephrase excessive lever travel. Ive already vacuum bled the lines a few times and am quite sure there's no air. My next solution was to possibly upgrade the MC as I wonder if this is the culprit? So my question to you all is what have you done to remedy this issue with good results?

-already have adjustable levers fully extended
-Abs model
Ive got two other bikes (k6 gsxr1k track) with R1 MC along with R1 calipers upgraded lines which work quite well and an (09 R6) with stock setup minus ss lines and fluid which work way better over the Gen 4 and produce much better/firm lever feel.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
MC is will definitely fix it but your going to need a billet one to go after what your looking for. I know cause I've been there myself. The RCS is still spongy, I have both the RCS and a billet 19x20.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MC is will definitely fix it but your going to need a billet one to go after what your looking for. I know cause I've been there myself. The RCS is still spongy, I have both the RCS and a billet 19x20.
I was eyeballing the RCS19 which I'm assuming is compatible with the gen4, but when you say it's still spongy, how much more managable than stock? Also excuse my ignorance, but when you say billet, do you mean the $2500.00 solution :eek:
This will be street duty till I decide to retire the Gsxr so ill still need the Brake switch capability which i think the RCS provides?
thanks for the reply

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
I was eyeballing the RCS19 which I'm assuming is compatible with the gen4, but when you say it's still spongy, how much more managable than stock? Also excuse my ignorance, but when you say billet, do you mean the $2500.00 solution :eek:
This will be street duty till I decide to retire the Gsxr so ill still need the Brake switch capability which i think the RCS provides?
thanks for the reply
Really can't say it's been forever. I remember when I went from stock to RCS and ss line at the same time I wasn't impressed. It was better but not where I wanted it. That's my 6R, it basically has 08 zx10r brakes right now which are the same as the gen 4.

That is the highest retail available MC and apparently only comes in a 18x19. The one I'm talking about is around $700. It is absolutely worth it's money. It is double the price but works at least 4x better so it's considerably better value.

MC are only bar specific for us that's 7/8". You will need a new banjo I believe for it. They also have a Mirco switch for the MC which is nice as a pressure switch doesn't work on the street, takes very little pressure to stop even from highway speeds. Just keep the stock MC and swap it if you sell. The 19x20 is awesome.

What are you running for pads?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really can't say it's been forever. I remember when I went from stock to RCS and ss line at the same time I wasn't impressed. It was better but not where I wanted it. That's my 6R, it basically has 08 zx10r brakes right now which are the same as the gen 4.

That is the highest retail available MC and apparently only comes in a 18x19. The one I'm talking about is around $700. It is absolutely worth it's money. It is double the price but works at least 4x better so it's considerably better value.

MC are only bar specific for us that's 7/8". You will need a new banjo I believe for it. They also have a Mirco switch for the MC which is nice as a pressure switch doesn't work on the street, takes very little pressure to stop even from highway speeds. Just keep the stock MC and swap it if you sell. The 19x20 is awesome.

What are you running for pads?
7 ponies is definitely more doable than the 2k option. Ill definitely explore the options and decide from there. Do you know/heard of anyone doing an R1 MC swap for the gen4 like i did with my gsxr?
For brake pads on the gen4 i just left stock for now on the street, but the r6 im running ebc extreme pro pads which give excellent bite and the gsxr i just put a set of EBC gpfa on but havent bedded them in yet.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
very few people actually complain about the 08+ brakes. I have never seen any mention here about the R1 MC but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's still not going to compete with a RCS or especially a Billet.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Its not the MC its the calipers... swap out to a set of NISSIN calipers from a ZX14R or a ZX6R pre 2009.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've noticed quite a few complaints about the stock front brake setup on our gen 4's and i'm looking for reasonable/cheap solution. Ive already upgraded to the spiegler lines along with rbf600 fluid change and I cant say I'm very happy. Extremely spongy, or maybe I should rephrase excessive lever travel. Ive already vacuum bled the lines a few times and am quite sure there's no air. My next solution was to possibly upgrade the MC as I wonder if this is the culprit? So my question to you all is what have you done to remedy this issue with good results?

-already have adjustable levers fully extended
-Abs model
Ive got two other bikes (k6 gsxr1k track) with R1 MC along with R1 calipers upgraded lines which work quite well and an (09 R6) with stock setup minus ss lines and fluid which work way better over the Gen 4 and produce much better/firm lever feel.
I have a 2011 ZX10( with ABS) and the front calipers are great. I went with a Brembo MC after the stock one was toast after a crash at TWS last summer. I also went with Speigler lines and Veserah pads however the stock set up on my bike was great after just changing out the brake lines... My buddy bought a 2011 and his brakes were mushy from day one! I guess it just depends on the particular bike?

Speedy

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have to wonder if it's the ABS contributing. I'm running a standard MC and calipers with Spiegler lines, Motul RBF660 and Vesrah SRJLs and getting excellent, consistent performance lap after lap from 170+ mph.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
That is a sweet ass picture. What are you running for front suspension and settings if that's alright.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it's a 4 gen he's got and the 08+ tokico are great, for stock calipers.
So here's something that I just thought about, I know the calipers are tokico, but ill have to double check, i am pretty sure the MC is Nissin? Is there a different MC configuration between the abs and non abs?

Hey speedy which Brembo did you go with? and was ur buddies bike abs also?

suburbanrancher- I work on a fishing boat, and i spent my whole watch one night drooling over your racebike build, superb machine! What is brand is your MC being that it's non abs?

Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
383 Posts

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
OMG. This is a first on this site. The Gen 4 brake setup is identical to the Gen 3 (save for any ABS control module). Calipers and MC are the same. The brakes are top-notch on both the Gen 3 and Gen 4. You're the first complainer I've read about. All previous Gen 2's and 1's complain (and rightfully so), but not a Gen 4 rider :headshake

So, I think your issue is related to the ABS. Try bleeding the system thoroughly to get rid of any air and pull the ABS fuses to disable the controller. Then see how that feels.

You can upgrade parts all day, but the bottom line is when you squeeze the brake lever, you're telling the ABS controller what to do. The controller has the authority to override your inputs to keep the wheels from locking up. I would be trying to eliminate the ABS as the issue before randomly swapping parts on either end of it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That is a sweet ass picture. What are you running for front suspension and settings if that's alright.
Ohlins 30 mil kit, stiff-ass springs and forks 5mm up.

suburbanrancher- I work on a fishing boat, and i spent my whole watch one night drooling over your racebike build, superb machine! What is brand is your MC being that it's non abs?

Thanks for all the input!
Thanks for the props on the page. I'm running the bone stock Nissin MC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, I think your issue is related to the ABS. Try bleeding the system thoroughly to get rid of any air and pull the ABS fuses to disable the controller. Then see how that feels.

You can upgrade parts all day, but the bottom line is when you squeeze the brake lever, you're telling the ABS controller what to do. The controller has the authority to override your inputs to keep the wheels from locking up. I would be trying to eliminate the ABS as the issue before randomly swapping parts on either end of it.
I will definitely give another run down on the system and see if i've got some trapped air in there somewhere, and give the fuse trick a try. I know what a good break system is supposed to feel like and this is definitely not it, and it has been like this from day one when i purchased it stock. I appreciate all your input and i will win :lol:

·
Registered
102 Posts
If the brakes are too mushy and you have put in new lines....then bleed the brakes better. You have too much air in it. If you have a RCS with lines and decent pads, and you are riding on the street with that and its still not good enough for you, then either you are Rossi, or you dont know what good is....

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Ohlins 30 mil kit, stiff-ass springs and forks 5mm up.

Thanks for the props on the page. I'm running the bone stock Nissin MC.
Sorry as this is unrelated to the thread, but I must ask why you went from the M4 Street Slayer to the Graves? Full system capability?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sorry as this is unrelated to the thread, but I must ask why you went from the M4 Street Slayer to the Graves? Full system capability?
Had cams and headwork done, tuner advised I was losing around 13 HP in the midrange with the stock headers given the new state of tune. He recommended the Graves system, and I have to say as much as I hate dropping that much money on an exhaust it was well worth the investment :ayyy:

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Had cams and headwork done, tuner advised I was losing around 13 HP in the midrange with the stock headers given the new state of tune. He recommended the Graves system, and I have to say as much as I hate dropping that much money on an exhaust it was well worth the investment :ayyy:
Good to know, thanks for the reply. I bought the same exact pipe you had on your race build website. Hell, I even read your how-to when I was installing it. I'm not quite satisfied with it and I wanted to know what your reasons were for replacing it and figured you went FS Graves since it's a race bike, but still had to ask...

Also, do you feel a lot of vibrations in the brake side rearset at high RPMS?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts