Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im working on a friends gen4, his front brakes doing some crazy stuff. If i grab the lever it feels real good, then theres no lever without pumping it 1 or 2 times:badteeth:

1st thing i seen was that he must have mixed brake fluid because it looked like a gel in the reservoir, so i flushed out and changed brake fluid, then i replaced the diaphragm it was jacked up.

2nd thing i rebuilt the master cylinder

3rd thing breed the brakes about 5 times, with a pump and manually

The brakes are not leaking fluid anyplace, I had one of my friends tell me it must be air still in the lines, I think its something else at this point any suggestions, HELP

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,889 Posts
If brake fluid was mixed, you might have to do a complete disassembly and cleaning of the calipers. DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are glycol based fluids and are relatively safe to mix. DOT 5 is pure silicone and incompatible with anything else. If he added DOT 5 in with the regular stuff that came with the bike, who knows what kind of crud is in the calipers.

The bleed technique is to start at the master cylinder and bleed it there first. Then move onto the calipers. The pump works great for roughing it in, but nothing beats a hand bleed to make sure all the air is removed. It's also helpful to strap the brake lever overnight with pressure before a final hand bleed the next day.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
After all this you had best rebuild the whole system and replace all seals. If you are truly qualified. This bike needs all the brakes it can get. Don't mess around with the brakes.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started with the master first, I'm going to try that technique, but after talk to another member he think it might be the rotor and it could be because the bike owner did bend the front rim pretty bad.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that's valuable information that would change the answer on where to start looking...
I talked to the bike owner today he told me he was hitting the disk with a rubber hammer, Im pissed he left out that valuable bit of info, I dicked around with this for about 12 hours:bs:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I talked to the bike owner today he told me he was hitting the disk with a rubber hammer, Im pissed he left out that valuable bit of info, I dicked around with this for about 12 hours:bs:
You are not gonna be able to fix the bike going about it like that. Dang, can't you all find a used rotor or something?

·
Registered
576 Posts
If all of the above didn't work, try cracking it at the banjo's on the calipers (obviously with pressure on the lever).

I've had issues in the past where air gets caught at the banjo and that seemed to be the only way to solve it...

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,889 Posts
WTF? Why would anyone do that? :dontknow:

That's a significantly different problem than I gave a potential solution for above. My new answer is for the owner to get new rotors. And then sell the bike. :badteeth:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts