Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently installed CORE stainless steel braided brake lines and everything else stock ofc, i notice i keep setting up my brake lever to hard but it keeps losing pressure after being used a bit

i mean i doubt that it's a bleed

do i need an after market master cylinder ? would it solve my problems ?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,707 Posts
It's the bleed.

You need to bleed the master cylinder first. Then move to each caliper. If all you changes were the lines, it's obviously something you did. The core moto lines are top notch. So make sure you've got the banjo bolts and washers torqued properly and bleed it again.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What is a bit? My stock MC used to pump air and I could only get about an hour or 2 with firm brakes.

Once I switched to a brembo Mc I never had issues again.

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If you want a cheaper upgrade find a brembo master off a crashed 07 or later R1. I have one on my Gen 1 and Gen 4 huge increase in braking power.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want a cheaper upgrade find a brembo master off a crashed 07 or later R1. I have one on my Gen 1 and Gen 4 huge increase in braking power.
care to elaborate on specifications ? kinda of a newbie here :grin2:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Maybe I'm nuts, but buying a used OEM master cylinder seems like false economy to me. You can buy a new Brembo 19x18 for under $250 and it makes a tremendous improvement in brake performance. It's also new, not 8 years old and hasn't been subjected to who knows what... Crashes, neglect, inept tinkering and high mileage are all likely on a part of that age.

It does sound like the master cylinder shit the bed and I agree it would be good to swap it. I just don't think I'd want to swap one questionable used part for another of unknown quality.

·
Registered
837 Posts
If you had good pressure before the instal, then its prob the instal that's causing the problem. Notoriously difficult to get all air out of the system and possibly a slight leak from a bleed screw or banjo bolt. I would double check everything and re bleed from m/c down

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
care to elaborate on specifications ? kinda of a newbie here :grin2:
I actually bought mine new thru Yamaha several years ago. 150 bucks. Yamaha owns Brembo. It was a direct bolt on and really improved braking over the non radial unit on the Gen 1. Yamaha has caught on and raised the price of a new one. Thats why I suggested finding one off a.crashed R1.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Maybe I'm nuts, but buying a used OEM master cylinder seems like false economy to me. You can buy a new Brembo 19x18 for under $250 and it makes a tremendous improvement in brake performance. It's also new, not 8 years old and hasn't been subjected to who knows what... Crashes, neglect, inept tinkering and high mileage are all likely on a part of that age.

It does sound like the master cylinder shit the bed and I agree it would be good to swap it. I just don't think I'd want to swap one questionable used part for another of unknown quality.

You should let the OP know where you can get one for that price. The best i have seen is 299 before tax and shipping.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The last one I got was from Kyle Racing. I did not buy the folding lever. I keep a spare lever in my box of spare stuff since I have two bikes with the 19x18 m/c's. I'm not a fan of folding levers in general.

Tax plus shipping does not compute. You either pay tax buying it locally or pay shipping buying it out of state, and many online retailers offer free shipping once an order reaches a certain dollar amount.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I would choose R1 oem Brembo MC (its 16mm) if it is street bike, because it works when no top pads are used, rotors bit greasy and cold.
There is a "grand canyon" difference compared to Brembi 19mm MC in piston area (+41%).
That much more lever force you need to pull lever to get same braking.

Brembo 19 together with tiny 30mm oem caliper pistons gives very firm lever feel, it works for a racer who likes that way, but they use best pads, clean rotors daily.
Brembo 19 MC is sweet with calipers having pistons 34/34mm and 32/36mm.

I'm not sure but guess that zx10r 2016 has now 16mm MC too and caliper piston size stayed 30mm.

·
The Pace
7,162 Posts
speed bleeder is the tool once you mess with brakes. If I recall. I think that's the tool but it's been awhile since I had a pos bike that needed immediate upgrades.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
What ever way you go with m/c Sky is spot on with m/c first then calipers!once I got a firm lever a cable tied my front brake lever overnight!next day I cracked the m/c bleed ever so slightly to release any air bubles that could of still been in the lines!after that a had a good firm feel!just dont go crazy with the m/c bleed screw when you crack it!just enough to let any air out!I would of been bleeding for weeks trying to get a nice feel for my liking if I left the ABS connected!actually I would of died of old age!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would choose R1 oem Brembo MC (its 16mm) if it is street bike, because it works when no top pads are used, rotors bit greasy and cold.
There is a "grand canyon" difference compared to Brembi 19mm MC in piston area (+41%).

Brembo 19 together with tiny 30mm oem caliper pistons gives very firm lever feel, it works for a racer who likes that way, but they use best pads, clean rotors daily.

I'm not sure but guess that zx10r 2016 has now 16mm MC too and caliper piston size stayed 30mm.

:crackup: Wut?

Greasy rotors? No top pads? Cleaning rotors every day?

No, no and heck no...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I would add that my gen 4 came with a bad master from Kawi. I would bleed it and the lever was nice and firm two days later it would be squishy again. Did the R1 replacement Brembo and it has been great. Bike gets a good deal of hard track use with no fade.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts

What MC's have you used on your gen4 zx10?

·
Registered
415 Posts
What MC's have you used on your gen4 zx10?
Have used stock 17.5mm MC with stock calipers, race bike.
Now have updraded to RCS17 with ZX6R 2013 calipers, but haven't run it yet. I break with 1 or 2 finger and half ways in race finger gets tired, now I should get more leverage and feel.
I think for street a oem MC is enough, if you are on budget then better get good pads.
Here I made a table with some MC vs caliper sizes and resulting brake system ratios.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts