Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the front tire on my 16 zx-10 abs krt. Now the front brake is acting like the abs is working to must. The lever is slack and pulls all the way to the grip, i pump it twice and its firm, i roll 10 feet and it has slack in the lever again. This happens over and over. Anybody have any idea whats going on?

·
The Pace
7,163 Posts
Something not right. Make sure you didn't mount that wheel backwards. Look for the TC ring and see if it's lining up with the sensor hardware. I know zero about abs but thinking.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,715 Posts
Sounds like there's air in the system. Have you checked for leaks? What did you do to the calipers when you removed the wheel?

·
Registered
771 Posts
did you drop a spacer out? something is pushing the pads back when you roll the bike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put everything back, I'm going to pull the wheel off this evening and make sure everything is lined up. I've changed a couple of dozen front tires in my 40 years of riding, this is the first ABS wheel that I've done.

·
Registered
581 Posts
A bent rotor will cause the same issue as well, is it possible the rotor got bumped with the wheel off?

·
Chairman of the Board
16,097 Posts
For Gods sake make sure the wheel is on right. I'm not trying to be a jerk but my buddy Tom put his on wrong at the track while in a hurry to make the next session and it cost him a few days in the hospital with a badly broken hip and several other injuries. I don't want to see that happen to anyone else.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
you bent the rotor... BAD.... that is why the pads separate, and you have to pump the master, to close them, then the warp put them apart when you rotate them

that is a critical thing.... you must disassemble and inspect ALL things, this kind of things put you in the hospital FAST

·
Registered
264 Posts
put the front on a stand and spin the front wheel freely while watching each rotor as it spins. you might be able to notice if one is moving slightly/wavering as you spin in and that would tell you if its a bent rotor or not. you could also just pull the calipers to see if any of the pistons are pushed back farther then the others/normal.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,715 Posts
Damn, how did put the wheel on to cause that?
Sensor ring on the wrong side = ABS not active = crash if you're expecting ABS to work.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,715 Posts
that is possible. It's on my list of things to check.
I'll be interested in your findings. You'd have to have a badly warped rotor to exhibit those results. Not likely unless the rim was dropped on the rotor or something. ABS should be no different than normal other than the ABS module which you wouldn't normally touch just changing the rim out.

Let us know what you find.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts