Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please don't make fun of me for a dumb question...

My 2012 Gen 4 is in need of new rubber. I want to remove the wheels myself to have new donuts spooned on at the dealer to save a few bucks. I look at the front axle and was surprised to see a 22mm hex on both sides. My old bike had a 19mm hex on one side and a 32mm hex bolt on the other side. I need to get me a 22mm hex bit, but do I need two? I checked the service manual and it looks like I need only one, but it is not that specific. Is it OK to rely on the pinch bolts to hold the opposite end of the axle?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Please don't make fun of me for a dumb question...

My 2012 Gen 4 is in need of new rubber. I want to remove the wheels myself to have new donuts spooned on at the dealer to save a few bucks. I look at the front axle and was surprised to see a 22mm hex on both sides. My old bike had a 19mm hex on one side and a 32mm hex bolt on the other side. I need to get me a 22mm hex bit, but do I need two? I checked the service manual and it looks like I need only one, but it is not that specific. Is it OK to rely on the pinch bolts to hold the opposite end of the axle?
I'm sure if you leave the pinch bolts tight, you can loosen the other side to remove it. That's how I do my gen 1.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,056 Posts
I only use one and I loosen my pinch bolts first. Its always worked fine for me. I guessin your pinch bolts would hold it but Id invest in the proper wrench. BTW did you check the factory tool kit??

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
:+1:
On what they said.
I have a 4th gen and you leave the pinch bolts holding the axle while you loose one side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts