Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't usually post stuff like this but.... I'm in a time crunch :?

does anyone know the size of the front axle nut? Both sides would be nice. They look like 14mm and 22mm to me, but I'd like to know for sure before I visit the store to buy something.

oh, and I've checked the service manual... it doesn't tell you the size, just the torque spec...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just talked to the service guy at the local dealership.... he says the collar is 17mm, but it doesn't really matter since you can just loosen the pinch bolts on the right side, loosen the 22mm nut (the axle), then loosen the pinch bolts on the left side and slide the collar out a little bit to remove the wheel. Good to know when you want to remove the front wheel....

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
extremelean said:
The allen is a 14mm . NOT a 13

the axle is a 22mm
Listen to the man that's employed by Kawi.

I just used a 14 mm allen to remove the front wheel for the recall last weekend. Loosen the allen side then the pinch bolts and it slides out. Ignore the other side. :)

·
Banned
856 Posts
i always leave the allen side and loosen the bolt. you have to take the bolt side loose anyways to remove the bolt. im not tryin to break your balls andy. its just alot easier to me this way

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
trikchop said:
i always leave the allen side and loosen the bolt. you have to take the bolt side loose anyways to remove the bolt. im not tryin to break your balls andy. its just alot easier to me this way
I guess it depends on if you have the right sized allen or the right sized socket. I didn't have the right socket.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
There is a problem with leaving the nut (14 mm allen socket) pinch bolts tight. The allen nut is made of pretty light and also somewhat soft material. When the pinch bolts are tight, the material seems to compress slightly which increases the clamping force on the axle. And that makes the axle harder to turn. I have tried a lot of methods and I find it easier to unscrew the allen nut first. Just my $.02 worth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts