Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need advice on how to safety wire the front axle clamp bolts (A). I drilled holes, but the bolts are recessed way into the forks and once torqued, it's difficult to find space to run the safety wire through. Ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
My only thought... Drill the holes about where the 'A' symbols are. There may be enough to get wire through for a locking. Yes, the locking won't be correct in the true sense, but it will stop the bolt from rotating around...

PS: What size lockwire you using? 0.025" or 0.032"?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Perhaps consider longer bolts, and drill the holes at the other end where they'd come out of the fork legs.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Perhaps consider longer bolts, and drill the holes at the other end where they'd come out of the fork legs.

Cheers,
Brian
So this is an interesting thought and one I've been considering. Need to look up some info or pics on how best to safety wire at the other end. Another thought I had was to replace the bolts with hex/flange heads...those that don't go through.

Thanks to all for input. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Cheers mate, best of luck :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
It can be done using the stock bolts. Tighten them up. Mark the bottoms, as there is more clearance from the fork body. Drill them out & wola :)

Like Nutter said above.

Axle bolt. Hmmm. Mine is not done but it passes inspection.

·
Registered
581 Posts
For the axle bolt, you can drill through at an angle, like this picture below. This is what I did to mine. Picture is from internet though:

For the pinch bolts, I just curl the safety wire into a hook shape, and then hook the wire through the holes in the bolts. Also, it helps to drill multiple holes in the bolt so that you have options when you go to wire it up. If you put 2 holes, 180 degrees from each other, you should end up with a convenient hole for each bolt.

It doesn't have to be perfect, and you don't have to have the wire going all the way through the bolt. If you just go through 1 of the holes in each bolt, it will be fine, they won't go anywhere.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the axle bolt, you can drill through at an angle, like this picture below. This is what I did to mine. Picture is from internet though:

For the pinch bolts, I just curl the safety wire into a hook shape, and then hook the wire through the holes in the bolts. Also, it helps to drill multiple holes in the bolt so that you have options when you go to wire it up. If you put 2 holes, 180 degrees from each other, you should end up with a convenient hole for each bolt.

It doesn't have to be perfect, and you don't have to have the wire going all the way through the bolt. If you just go through 1 of the holes in each bolt, it will be fine, they won't go anywhere.
Trying to figure out the best way to drill the axle at an angle. Did you drill with the axle in place (maybe loosen have it stick out a bit) or did you completely remove the axle?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Trying to figure out the best way to drill the axle at an angle. Did you drill with the axle in place (maybe loosen have it stick out a bit) or did you completely remove the axle?
I did it with the axle in place. The metal is super soft (surprisingly), so a good punch will get you started well enough, then just be careful with the angle so you don't break through the corner.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I will try to get some pictures of mine this weekend, but you can either safety wire like what is shown above, or you can used D-clips (what i use). Our local Rulebook only requires the pinch bolts to be safety wired, and the axle is optional. We also race in the rain (some clubs don't), so FAST tire changes are necessary for "iffy" conditions, which is why i safety wire D-clips to the front of my bike!

Also, you can buy pre-drilled bolts, but it gets expensive! If you have the time, buy a few extra HIGH QUALITY drill bits and some cutting oil and drill them yourself!

Hint: tighten the bolt to the torque that it requires, then mark the bolt in the area accessible for safety wire, then drill there....this way when you go to safety wire you will know that you have the bolt to the right torque because of where it is rotated to, and it will be easy to get the safety wire through!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts