Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running the stock sprockets on my 04 zx10r. Now are the stock numbers 17 on the front and 40 on the back? Correct me if im wrong. I'm looking to go through possibly vortex to upgrade these parts. I'm prob going to stay with the 525 chain but I need a little help choosing how many teeth I should run on the front and rear. If you guys could give me some advice to what I should run and give me a little info on what the effects will be on riding. I know if you increase the back teeth it will increase the torque but trying to figure the right combination with front. Thanks appreciate it.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
:welcome: to the neighborhood

The OEM final drive is 17/39. If you looking towards a gear change for quicker acceleration then perhaps use 17/41 or 16/39 which many guys use for street or trackdays.

If you do make the change it will effect the speedo readout in a positive way so theres a device called a Speedohealer that is programmable to correct this.

BD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:welcome: to the neighborhood

The OEM final drive is 17/39. If you looking towards a gear change for quicker acceleration then perhaps use 17/41 or 16/39 which many guys use for street or trackdays.

If you do make the change it will effect the speedo readout in a positive way so theres a device called a Speedohealer that is programmable to correct this.

BD
Okay that makes sense. Now by increasing the amount of the teeth on the rear is obviously going to increase my torque? And if I run the 17/41 can I still use the 525 chain?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Okay that makes sense. Now by increasing the amount of the teeth on the rear is obviously going to increase my torque? And if I run the 17/41 can I still use the 525 chain?
The increase in teeth on the rear does not increase the torque so its a misnomer or sorts that many believe.
It will effect how the bike accelerates (quicker) but what ever torque it produces does not change in a literal sense.

If your wanting to use your current used chain i do not recommend installing new sprockets unless the mileage is very low (500m) converesly its not good to use a new chain with old sprockets either.

BD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The increase in teeth on the rear does not increase the torque so its a misnomer or sorts that many believe.
It will effect how the bike accelerates (quicker) but what ever torque it produces does not change in a literal sense.

If your wanting to use your current used chain i do not recommend installing new sprockets unless the mileage is very low (500m) converesly its not good to use a new chain with old sprockets either.

BD
Hey thanks for the quick replies. Another question for you. I was looking at the chains on the vortex website. For instance: http://www.vortexracing.com/index.php?class0_0=1416&class0_1=5463&class0_2=5492&class0_3=5493&submit.x=10&submit.y=7&submit=Go&xsearch_id=products_search1&src=directory&view=Products_lister&submenu=Products

One of them has a strength that supports 1000cc bikes and than the other one supports 1100cc bikes. The only diff being the tensile strength. Would it be better to go with the 1000cc chain with a Tensile Strength: 7600 or move up to the 1100 chain with a Tensile Strength: 9300. Would it be worth it? And what chains do you recommend in using from your experience? Thanks...

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
It partly depends on your use of the bike and if your a conservative or aggressive rider.
Either chain will work but durability may play into the equation due to the diff in tensile strength so its something to consider.

Personally i've had great luck with DID & EK chains.

BD

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
BD you gonna answer all the questions or give someone else a chance to chime in?!?! :crackup:

I'd add but I believe Mr. 30,735 posts has already covered everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts