Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a blast yesterday with my bike (rolls on a set of diablo supercorsas sc2). After about 40 miles of fairly hard ride, I decided to harden up a lil bit the damper (3-4 clicks clockwise, less 4 clicks than full lock) as I expect to bash up the tyres to their max. BTW, my damper's stock.

To my horror, at speeds of 100 mph the bike's started to tank slappin' on me! It occured a few times to the point that I slowed down to let all my mates passed me. At a quick stop a few miles later, only after I readjusted back the damper counter clockwise (6 clicks) that the problem dissappear.

After the whole episode I was like 'wasn't the damper supposed to be harder at clockwise setting?' :badteeth: I read the ohlins damper manual and it indeed showed clockwise is for harder setting :dontknow:

Anybody can shed a light on this?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
You need to get it overhauled to Ohlin's specs....costs around $110 US here....Dan Kyle does it....any Ohlins service center can do it....The Kawi spec needle has a hole in it so it doesn't work well.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
It's a pos yay! Ya I never had any confidence in the stock damper. I'm either gonna get it rebuilt or buy a new one.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
mine should be here tues from a fresh rebuild from dan kyle. cant wait to see the difference. i know what one should be like when it works, the oem does NOT.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I reworked mine myself - took less than an hour and made all the difference in the world - it is the same as a replacement or one reworked by Dan. Just need some simple tools and fork oil and patience and you are good to go.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I reworked mine myself - took less than an hour and made all the difference in the world - it is the same as a replacement or one reworked by Dan. Just need some simple tools and fork oil and patience and you are good to go.
Dan does more than change the oil. :wink:

Putting heavier oil in there is nowhere near as effective as sending to Dan Kyle.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Had a blast yesterday with my bike (rolls on a set of diablo supercorsas sc2). After about 40 miles of fairly hard ride, I decided to harden up a lil bit the damper (3-4 clicks clockwise, less 4 clicks than full lock) as I expect to bash up the tyres to their max. BTW, my damper's stock.

To my horror, at speeds of 100 mph the bike's started to tank slappin' on me! It occured a few times to the point that I slowed down to let all my mates passed me. At a quick stop a few miles later, only after I readjusted back the damper counter clockwise (6 clicks) that the problem dissappear.

After the whole episode I was like 'wasn't the damper supposed to be harder at clockwise setting?' :badteeth: I read the ohlins damper manual and it indeed showed clockwise is for harder setting :dontknow:

Anybody can shed a light on this?
So with the damnper at one setting the bike felt good... you stiffen up the stock damper and the bike headshakes and you're upset? If the bike worked before stiffening the damper then leave it alone! :dontknow: That being said I doubt it was the adjustment to the damper that made the bike headshake. A ZX10 is going to headshake once in a while, there's no way around that.

It sounds to me like you're equating faster riding with needing a stiffer damper. In some cases that may be true but in your case it obviously isn't. :wink:

As many others have said, getting the stock damper modified by Dan Kyle will make all the difference in the world. The stock damper has little adjustability and after the Dan's work it is MUCH more adjustable.

Obviously, being in Malaysia doesn't make that a very easy mod to have done.:dontknow:

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Dan does more than change the oil. :wink:

Putting heavier oil in there is nowhere near as effective as sending to Dan Kyle.
Sorry should have been more specific.

Took the damper apart - put epoxy in the hole, resanded, filled the damper with oil (per Ohliins Spec), bled all the air out of it (that is what took the longest), re-installed and voila - fully functional damper.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So with the damnper at one setting the bike felt good... you stiffen up the stock damper and the bike headshakes and you're upset? If the bike worked before stiffening the damper then leave it alone! :dontknow: That being said I doubt it was the adjustment to the damper that made the bike headshake. A ZX10 is going to headshake once in a while, there's no way around that.

It sounds to me like you're equating faster riding with needing a stiffer damper. In some cases that may be true but in your case it obviously isn't. :wink:

As many others have said, getting the stock damper modified by Dan Kyle will make all the difference in the world. The stock damper has little adjustability and after the Dan's work it is MUCH more adjustable.

Obviously, being in Malaysia doesn't make that a very easy mod to have done.:dontknow:
Well, I had BT016s before - the profile/compound ain't as agressive as Diablo S/corsa's. With that I reckon I shud stiffen up the damper lil bit since I'm gonna whack 'em tires out.

Headshake, yes, I did experience it once in a while on my 10. But to experience >3 times of it in <3 miles of fast riding was something I don't wanna occur again. It all happened AFTER I stiffen up the damper.

Then again like you said, just leave it alone, ie. pre-headshake setting, which was exactly what I did afterwards :smile:

Sepang circuit will have a track day this Sunday, will head there to see how it behaves :thumbsup:

·
Registered
332 Posts
You need to get it overhauled to Ohlin's specs....costs around $110 US here....Dan Kyle does it....any Ohlins service center can do it....The Kawi spec needle has a hole in it so it doesn't work well.

for an older guy novice type level street-track rider, the dan Kyle mod probably would be just fine !

I did have dan kyle do his modification to my damper 97.00 + shipping & it's now much better improvement over the BS OEM stock damper set up for sure !

But IMO it's still not GREAT !

I will try replacing the oil with a heavier oil weight & if that does not do the trick, then I will say adios to this damper.................

& will get the GPR, or maybe a real Ohlins Damper

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
stock damper=crap. I am sending mine to dan as soon as i can

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sorry should have been more specific.

Took the damper apart - put epoxy in the hole, resanded, filled the damper with oil (per Ohliins Spec), bled all the air out of it (that is what took the longest), re-installed and voila - fully functional damper.
Ah, gotcha. It's filling that bleed hole that does it. :wink:

Nice job. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
367 Posts
Funny on the talk about the stock damper I have the BT016 on my 08 and run the damper on it's hardest setting just because I figure stiffer is better, I have no real cue. but my point is that I have had no issue I can mention but could it be that I have my suspension setup of my weight and the tires are balanced?

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
just got mine back today from dan kyle. needless to say its total difference. i have not been able to ride due to the weather, but it adjusts now. for the money i think it will fill my needs just fine. as i said before, i know what one should be like when it works, and the oem does not. i would reccomend the rebuild if you dont want to drop a lot of cash on a total new damper.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts