Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wonder if anybody has had to replace clutches in their zx10 yet? Mine went out today.Could not even ride back home. no amount of adjustment would help.I did do about three hard launches drag racing my partner but aside from that I did not think I had abused my clutches that much.Now the bike is 2 days out of warranty,which they may not have covered anyway.Not too worried about expense as I can do the job myself but not sure to go back with kawasaki clutches or aftermarket such as barnett.I am a little disappointed in the stock clutches the bike only has 7500 miles.I did slip them pretty good today but not enough (I didn't think) to burn them up.And this is the only time I have road them that hard.Anyway if anyone has had any any clutch issues with their bike I would like to hear your thoughts.I know some do a lot of drag racing ,wondering how the stock clutches held up and has anyone tried different clutches?Any info would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oneradten said:
what type motor oil do you use ?
Kawasaki oil from the dealer and always kawasaki filter.Clutches seemed fine until I really slipped them racing.I guess they just could not handle it.Now I am debating on more stock clutches or aftermarket.But I will be a little easier on them from now on.I had a gsxr 750 before the 10 this bike went to the track (1/8 mile) a lot,stock clutches still fine after 15,000 miles.Of course the 10 has a lot more power so maybe I should just let the motor pull without all the clutch slipping.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I change my first set at 5500 miles on my bike

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PuertoRicoZX10 said:
I change my first set at 5500 miles on my bike
Great times.I assume you must slip clutch pretty hard.Did you go back with stock kawasaki clutches?

·
Registered
119 Posts
busa41 said:
Great times.I assume you must slip clutch pretty hard.Did you go back with stock kawasaki clutches?

no, I use barnett kit and yes is hard to keep the front wheel on the track at the same time try to make 1.6 in the 60 ft that why I change the clutch kits every 20 passes on the track sometimes every 15 or 10 depend on the temperature and the tracktion.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talked to friend of mine today that races a 06 gsxr1000.Strictly a track bike,lowered and stretched.After 10 runs (1/8 mile) clutches were gone.He says that bikes with slipper clutches won't hold up to the abuse as well as a non-slipper type.He is going to use clutch set up off 04 gsxr1000 which did not have slipper clutch.guess these bikes were not really designed for drag racing.But I'll order new clutches monday and hopefully be back riding sunday.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Ok some explain to me why a slipper clutch would matter, it's only used on downshifts.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not suppose to...only for droppin gears

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mine fried today as well.
I have around 7000 miles and maybe 20 dragstrip launches.
It was slipping so bad that I could only go 20mph back to the house, luckily I was only 5 or 6 miles away when it went.
What was weird is that there was no warning.
I went from having a clutch to having no clutch in one launch.
All of the steel plates are blue and the frictions are all glazed black.
None of the steels are warped, but the dark blue color concerns me.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
ok, please clear this up for me, whats the benefits of having a slipper clutch? does clutchless shifting affect any of this?

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
zx-7rking said:
Ok some explain to me why a slipper clutch would matter, it's only used on downshifts.
Because it does slip on downshifts if you are off on the RPM. So more slipping than a standard clutch that only slips when you let it or really overpower it.

Not saying 7500 miles is normal or okay, don't know.

Just saying a slipper clutch, by design, is going to spend more of it's lifetime slipping (when it should-"extreme" downshifts.)
That is still going to put some wear on the plates just as if you were slipping the clutch by hand on a down shift to avoid wheel hop.
I still tend to match my downshifts to avoid using slipper and possibly accelerating clutch wear.
I of the slipper as a back up safety device. On a track I would just bang downshifts, street no need mostly.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Im just wondering how yall are launching that fries the clutch...

I road race, and while I dont propose Im launching as hard as some at the drag strip, Im still launching pretty hard.

My clutch has about 3 drag strip launches, several street drag launches, and several race launches, and almost 11K miles on it, and it still seems to be holding up.

I went synthetic at 1500mi. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
zx10ragentblack said:
Is that all that is needed in for the most part when the clutch is toast???
pretty much...if you don't try to keep riding it and absolutely fry the steels, you can get away with just replacing the fibers...

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is off subject but i have an 05 and was installing some new rearsets and when putting on the clutch i was lightly tapping it on with a rubber hammer b/c it would not go on, when click the shift rod went into the engine!!! It would shift when pulled out and the spring was knocked off the lever that turns the pegs to change the gears. So my bike was stuck in 1st gear....Now the guy fixing my bike says it won't shift into 2nd,3rd,etc... after the clip that i knocked off was put back into place. Doesnt the zx10r have a positive nuetral when stopped?? Also will it only shift only with the clutch basket on or the motor running???? I need help fast!!!!! Thanks alot, David

1 - 20 of 25 Posts