Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired an 05 and still getting acquainted with it. Had to replace the rear sets since they were busted during a slide from the previous owner. The brake light does not work when working the rear brake.

1. Should I check the oil level while on the kick stand or upright?
  2. What should the oil level be at?
  3. Should the rear brake pedal initialize the brake light? If so what would cause it not to work?

Also need left side plastics. Mid and lower.

Thanks for all the great stuff on this site! You guys rock!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hi fresh squid, i shure hope this isn,t you,r first bike.The oil is checked with the bike level,i do it the hard way i just balance it in gear eng.off and look in the sight glass or have a friend hold it level for u up near top is good to above 1/2. More than likely just the bulb gone,try a new one.Check fuse under seat.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
welcome

there is a brake light sensor that goes on your rearsets that turns the light on or off when you put pressure on the brake pedal. The oil thing do from a rear stand if you have one, if not while the bike is up right, common sense dont you think if your bike was leaning to one side the oil would too, but what ever just trying to help man. Good luck and welcome man, a lot of good people hear!!!:welcome:

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Recently acquired an 05 and still getting acquainted with it. Had to replace the rear sets since they were busted during a slide from the previous owner. The brake light does not work when working the rear brake.

3. Should the rear brake pedal initialize the brake light? If so what would cause it not to work?

1. Yes, stand the bike upright to check the oil.

2. Midway in the oil window. But anywhere between the low and high mark is good.

3. Yes, the rear brake operates the brake light as well as the front.
As far as the brake light not working. The 1st place to check is the fuse and the bulb.
2nd, check out the rear m/c to make sure it is functioning properly since the bike has been down. Listen to the m/c (master cylinder) and see if there is a clicking noise.
Then get a volt meter and check to see if you have power to the rear brake switch. If so, trace the line via the wiring schematic to the brake light,unhook the plug and check for power while the brake is engaged. If no power, ohm it out to see if the wire is broken.

P.S. If you need the owners manual with the wiring diagram use the search button for 05 User Manual. If you can't find it let me know, but look for it first. But put in some wrench time on your bike and get to know it.

Hope this helps,

Hellsrazor

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks fellas, not the first bike. I just never did my own work on my other two.
First one in six years. Last one was a 98 900rr. What a difference. I love my 10.

The brake light bulb cannot be out cause it works when using the front brake.

I will look at it a little closer.

Thanks for answering my questions.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
:welcome: and remember always

·
can we ride yet!?!?!?
3,522 Posts
hey dude if you need the service manual for the '05 i got it. pm me your email and i will send you. that along with everything for the gen 1 that i got from the site. it will help you with alot of questions you have.some of the things you may or may not need but it pertains to your bike and will help you to further your knowledge on your machine

·
5,932 Posts
lol I think I almost wait for you hesaves0211 to tell all the fresh members to the site that!!! Makes your day doesnt it lol

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
lol I think I almost wait for you hesaves0211 to tell all the fresh members to the site that!!! Makes your day doesnt it lol
its a birthday gift to myself to do so, consider everyday a birthday haha:thumbsup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
there is a brake light sensor that goes on your rearsets that turns the light on or off when you put pressure on the brake pedal. The oil thing do from a rear stand if you have one, if not while the bike is up right, common sense dont you think if your bike was leaning to one side the oil would too, but what ever just trying to help man. Good luck and welcome man, a lot of good people hear!!!:welcome:
common sense also tells me that a bike on a rear stand leans the bike to the front, which could effect the oil level as well :mrgreen:

·
5,932 Posts
yeah I know sorry my bad but I have a pit bull front and rear so my bike stays level haha. Maybe I should of added that!!!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Im gonna take it to a buddies house at lunch and put it on a rear stand.
Or better yet have your buddy sit on it and hold it straight up.

When you changed your rear sets, did you hook up the brake switch again?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
brake switch

I hooked up a cable that fed into a plastic retainer if that is what you are talking about. Looks like their is a hole on the end for a spring. Maybe that is what I need. What do u think.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I would check out the service manual!!! Theres a link to it on this site, as a matter of fact its how I found this site in the first place did a google search and it brought me here!!!!

Oh yeah i'm from Missouri originally so I know "show me" :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
I hooked up a cable that fed into a plastic retainer if that is what you are talking about. Looks like their is a hole on the end for a spring. Maybe that is what I need. What do u think.

There is a spring that attaches to the switch and the brake pedal, which also has a hole in it. The spring is approximately 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" long. You can find a suitable replacement at Home depot or Lowes, that is where I got one after mine broke. Adjust it with the plastic nut on the rearset, but if it's slightly too short then stretch the spring slightly, that will work well.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Listen to Mr Honez and put a spring on it. Prove it to yourself by pulling on the switch and watching your brake light come on.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts

Congrats on the 10 and your not a squid. Do you wear flip flops and no helmet and shorts and tank top when you ride?

Newbie to the 10 but not a squid... And yeah the 05 ZX10 is well respected bike even among anything from 2009.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts