Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys....just found this shit hot app! Loaded it on my phone (Samsung Omnia - running microsoft mobile 6.0)

Gonna try it out on my track day on Friday Aug. 14th 2009 and let you know how it works.

Free Track Timer App!!!
http://www.racechrono.com/download/

It works best they say with an add on GPS tracker (for accuracy), but can also work with the internal GPS on your phone.

I also did some research to find a way to unlock your internal GPS (as phone contract providers often lock that feature on the phone, so you will have to pay to subscribe to their GPS tracker service).

I also found an add on GPS (normal NAV (not track)) program to test out my newly activated internal GPS (without a subscription!!!)

You will first need this: Port Splitter:
http://classic.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=22697&associateid=9

Here are the instruction (for my phone Samsung Omnia). You may need to do some research to find out how to do this with your phone.

1 download Port splitter.
2 install on phone.
3 open external gps in settings
4 set program port to COM3
5 set hardware to port COM9 Baud 9600
6 Open port splitter
7 set input port to COM3 (you may need to type this yourself)
8 set output to COM1
9 tap ADD
10 Start splitting
11 Open your sat nav and all should be working.

So anyways I did this, installed some NAV program (Garmin Mobile XP), which worked!!! Im currently downloading North American maps for this app, but for the time being the basic motorway routes were found and my SUBSCRIPTION FREE internal GPS sat nav is now up and running!

So....on to the track day tracker. I loaded it and it works...comes with a sample track to learn and explore. The site offers many many other tracks word wide to download yourself. It's free and done by a bunch of Finnish racing enthusiasts.

Now don't worry if you can't find your particular track....do a few laps with it on, go back to the pits and manually set the start / finish line, and a few split markers (traps), so you can log laps aaaaaaaaaaaaall day and go through and revise your best laps, worst laps, splits, braking points, accelerating points, graphic maps of every lap (even showing over-run corners, pit stops, walking to the toilet to take a shit, etc), and on top of that it calculates a simultaneous graph of your velocity so you can see graphically your acceleration and deceleration, speeds along side an ariel mapping of your lines on the track!!!

So you can map your own track and then upload it on their website to share with others!!!

I can't wait to give this a try in 2 days!!!!!! I'll give you an update after, maybe even a few screen shots if I can.

So gents, when those sucka track day organizers make you tape up your speedo, so you can't use your lap timers.....run this app. Get some clear tape and tape your mobile to the passenger seat and off you go with your own MotoGP statician riding passenger.

I'm so fuckin hyped!!!!!!!:postwhore

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
you know the 08/09 has a lap timer on the bike right, why use the phone tracking lap times when you can just use your left thumb lol

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
you know the 08/09 has a lap timer on the bike right, why use the phone tracking lap times when you can just use your left thumb lol
1. This logs you GRAPHICALLY. So you can see actual lines you have done all day long! Mistakes, fastest most efficient lines, over run corners, etc.

2. It logs SPLIT TIMES like in MotoGP to find out where you are fastest, ie the flowing parts, twisties, hairpins, straights....so you can learn how to adjust your gearing or suspension

3. It logs ACCELERATIONS, DECELERATIONS, BRAKING POINTS, TOP SPEEDS, ETC (in chart and graph forms)

4. It logs it all, so you can race your ass off without pressing buttons, then review your progress over lunch, go back crank out more laps the review it at home.....ALL YOUR LAPS!!!

5. You have it DOCUMENTED so you can BRAG YOUR ASS OFF to your buddies world wide and compare with others who have done the same circuit.

Can your right thumb while huddled under the windscreen do that for ya? Mine can't!

All it's missing is your own personal commentator!

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
cool cool, I'm old fashion I guess or how I was brought up then. A good old stop watch can tell me if I'm faster or slower!!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey alaywa!

I also have the Omnia. Love the phone. I have it with Verizon. Is yours with Verizon also? If so how did you unlock the gps on it? I would love to use this also. I have been searching for a way to do it and have come up with nothing concrete. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
hey the onboard bike laptimer is only as accurate as you are!

I've found one for 5 bucks on my G1 android phone, it is NUTS! It logs everything short of RPM, wi/ google satelite, it even overlays your laps, splits, etc. and all the sessions, downloading statistics such as weather, humidity, wind, etc.

Its called "trackmaster" for the g1 phone or any android platformed phones. Beats the hell out of a 40 buck lap timer rental imo

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spyderman:
I got my Onmia when I was living in London on Vodafone, but I now run it on the Fido (ownded by Rogers) in Toronto.

To get the GPS to work you need to use that Portsplitter program I mentioned and follow those instructions I posted. Then with any GPS App it will be able to access your internal GPS hardware.

My Omnia did have a SatNAV app on it. I had just been using google maps with triangulation. So I also download Garmin to work with the SatNAV. And it worked. The trickiest bit was just getting a cracked version of a SatNAV program, not unlocking the internal GPS.

So get that Portsplitter program and follow my instructions and just use any SatNAV and off you go.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok Update on the Lap Timer.

First couple sessions it didn't map my lines very well at all....just mapped some random lines and didnt connect them all into a complete lap, so it didn't record any lap times.
I just had my phone in my pocket, and I was picked up by 5 satelites as it indicated.

That normal SatNav program (Hacked) worked perfectly to get to the track. It had voice commands, so I could hear instructions over the music I was playing on my phone. It also recorded top speeds, average speeds, travel time etc. (But that isn't the lap timer, but it showed me that the PortSplitter worked and activated my internal GPS).

So another session in the day (I had the phone in my pocket, not mounted to the bike with a clear view to the sky) the lap timer worked! Well so so. It mapped the track, and plotted about 7 or 8 of my laps (total for the session). I was also picked up by 7 sats. Buuuut, there did seem to be some glitches, as the straights had some slight shifting in the mapped lines, as if it looked like I suddenly moved over by 5m or something.

I tried to time / map more laps later in the day but I made a crucial mistake...I didn't allocate enough memory to the program. It was trying to record to my memory card, which was full!!! So in the end, it didn't record anything on my last session, and it lost the data for the session it did record as it was corrupted due to running out of memory.

I was too busy having fun on my track day to bother with this more than I did. I ended up using my thumb / bike lap timer as a back up.

But when I got home I played with the program and adjusted the settings.

So, I don't know when my next track day is, but I'll test this program out again on a loop (like a section of highway on off ramps) and see if I can simulate a track to test this out soon.

I'm feeling positive about this program but I think they are right when they say the accuracy can suffer due to the limited signal strength of the phones internal GPS. The makers suggest hooking it up to an external GPS with a stronger signal for best accuracy.

SO INCONCLUSSIVE FOR NOW, BUT VERY VERY POSITIVE. REGULAR SATNAV WORKED PERFECTLY, SO GO AHEAD AND USE THE PORTSPLITTER AND USE ANY SATNAV OF YOUR CHOICE TO UNLOCK THIS POTENTIAL ALREADY IN YOUR PHONE (PROVIDING IT HAS GPS CAPABILITIES)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
New update peeps!

Tried 2 lap timer programs cause I wasn't happy I couldn't get RaceChrono to work properly on my track day. But like I said above....I allocated it more memory and tried it again in a large parking lot. Worked like a charm!!!!

Then I tried to export it to show all you cats...but it exports all these weird files I never heard of...one being a google earth mapper / locater. Simply double click and it plots it on google earth for you!!

The other is a VBO file, confused the hell out of me on the net (message boards giving advice on VOB files cause they were confused!!!) No its a VBO file. RaceChrono site recommends using this free software to view and analyze....

http://www.performancebox.co.uk/dlsoftware.html

It was both free and amazing!!! See attached screen shot gents.

Keep in mind it was just a parking lot and I peaked at 40+ kph. First plotted lap seems to be the sloppiest and most inaccurate with following laps very accurate indeed.

All this works on the internal GPS of my phone (again...no fees, no subscription, just unlocked with the PortSplitter program I referred to in the thread above)

By the way the phone was just in my pocket, no more no less and these are the results. Oh and also listening to music while I was at it.

The results of the other program seem very good also but that program costs 34 Euro. I'll try exporting that and getting back to you. It's interface is more user friendly and is designed to be used while jogging, etc. I tested its accuracy by driving to the store and back, as well as a walking lap only 20m x 40m oval. This program gives current pace, average etc etc, and can be hooked up to a heart rate monitor. Like I said this one costs but is very very good also.

So to recap......

PortSplitter to activate your locked out (by phone provider) internal GPS [FREE / WORKS]
http://classic.pocketgear.com/softwa...&associateid=9

RaceChrono to log / plot / analyze lap times [FREE / WORKS]
http://www.racechrono.com/download/

PerformanceBox to import files from RaceChrono to your computer to further analyze [FREE / WORKS]
http://www.performancebox.co.uk/dlsoftware.html

I'm running windows mobile 6.0 platform on a Samsung Omnia / PC
I have no help for any iPhone / Mac users (sorry)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well Samsung just released the new version for the Omnia and it unlocks the gps. So I got it all hooked up and downloaded the RaceChrono program. Cant wait to try it out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well Samsung just released the new version for the Omnia and it unlocks the gps. So I got it all hooked up and downloaded the RaceChrono program. Cant wait to try it out.
Try it around the block a few times to get it working. It takes a few minutes to connect with some satelites (to get fix), and the first lap is usually not very accurate. It didn't work well for me on my track day cause I was too distracted by the track day, the glare on the phone from the bright sun, and I didn't allocated it enough storage space (my card was near full), and I drained most of my battery on the way to the track listening to music and using my GPS.

So take the time to get the hang of it first before you take it to the track.

·
Registered
781 Posts
:heyyou: Buy the good stuff. ultra xt or starlane. Racing transponders are not $400 for no reason. Cool app. though, more in depth than i thought it would be. The lapper built in to the bikes is good to know how long it takes you to go get milk and come back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts