Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a nail in my rear tire today.....Pilot Powers, about 3 weeks old!!! I pulled it out hoping it was short enough to be cool, no such luck.

I guess its new tire time again.....Im not one to ride on patches or plugs.

Just ranting!!

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
patch and burn baby!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, no patches for me....I have heard too many horror stories over the years. I will suck up the $140 or so for the new rear and call it a day.....although that money was about to go towards some rearsets....dammit!! :sad:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
patch it and keep it as a spare or sell it to some squid, they'll buy that right up!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've fixed tires like this before and taken them to the track

Plug and patch.

Unless of course you want to buy a new tire in which case be my guest. Oh, and by the way -- do you have a junk tire around you wanna sell cheap?

If done correctly you'll be fine.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
TTLex said:
Nah, no patches for me....I have heard too many horror stories over the years. I will suck up the $140 or so for the new rear and call it a day.....although that money was about to go towards some rearsets....dammit!! :sad:
I meant patch it up and do a nasty burnout with it...

At least you'll have a little fun with all the money you spent on it!

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Patched tires failing is an old wives tale right up there with car oil makin' yer clutch slip. Patch it on the inside (no plug) and it will be good as new as long as you didn't stick something through it like a piece of 1/2" rebar.

For guys with bad ass bike I've never seen such a bunch of pussies.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
You have to go with what you feel comfortable with. And everyone is different.

I'm fine with a patched rear tire for street riding but I'd never take one to the track. Gotta have confidence in the machinery to have fun there.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Against my better judgement, I patched the biatch!! A new tire at my local shop was over $200, or $20 for the patch......the patch was looking good at that point. Im gonna order a new tire, for about $100 less than they were charging, then swap it when it comes in. I guess I will keep the patched one as a spare. No high speed runs for me today.

·
Registered
377 Posts
On both my new bikes, I got a nail in the rear with less than 1000 miles.....Had the dealer patch the first one and it still leaked. Tech probably didn't do it right. He drilled a hole much larger than the hole and used this big plug, instead of just patching from the inside. Mail order your tires, save a ton of money, and let the stealership mount and balance. Remember....less the dealership has to do, the better......that is unless yours is unique in that they do quality work and can be trusted. I live in a newly constructed area and nails are fuc#$#& everywhere....lots of time spent looking down and picking them up. Sorry man....these bikes cost lots of money to buy, maintain, and insure....shit happens and if you gonna play you gotta pay.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
hillcountry10r said:
I meant patch it up and do a nasty burnout with it...

At least you'll have a little fun with all the money you spent on it!
:+1: yeah, make sure you get it on video and then post it. :idea: :eek:ccasion1

1 - 20 of 22 Posts