Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
okay, from doin wheelies and endos with bad forks, i seem to have cracked my frame pretty good. i had it welded ( that lasted one wheelie) so i ordered and just recieved my new frame, for my '04. how difficult is it to make this swap?? with tools and a brain can i do this shit myself?? btw, i had my forks resealed and fixed. im goin to try post a pic of my craked frame. my buddy said we could swap in a day another said not to attempt it ?? wtf?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Not that bad, just keep track of everything, have a good clean work area, and a place to store all the bolts while you are doing it. Get a fishing tackle box or something with compartments you can put nuts and bolts into with a little piece of paper to label where they go.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think you could do it, just take your time, personally I wouldnt try it doing on my bike

·
Registered
322 Posts
i built one over this winter and its wasnt to bad just do it in sections...for the most part you can it like in 4 or 5 parts....forks, swing arm, motor, .....i would put the rear swing arm on first and with that the wheel. then the motor.....i made the mistake of putting the swing arm and the forks on...and then motor except i did all this all by myself and couldnt get the motor up high enough into the frame to bolt it in.....im no expert but i could switch in all over in about 5 hours give or take....

·
Registered
208 Posts
I used an ATV jack and straped the motor to it pefectlly straight then jacked the motor up into the frame. put your back motor mount bolts in frist then pull the front of the motor up then bolt up the front motor mounts.

I did it in less than 30 mins. no scratches or dings anywhere, cause I had mine powder coated!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sweet. thanks for the feedback. im gonna try doin it in a day. is there any tool or socket out of the ordinary i may need? otherwise its goin down within the next couple days

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
You might need to make one to remove the swingarm, or spend the $50 on one. Pretty easy with a dremel and a socket big enough to fit over it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
do you work in a machine shop or know somebody that does? I can send you a socket that will work on the swing arm but you will need to bore it out some on the ID

·
Registered
23 Posts
if i were you, i´d mount the frame and swingarm ON the engine, then the rest. And the wiring routing "might" be a problem.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I did a frame swap (twice, one was a 10r and the other was a 636) recently and if you're mechanically inclined you can do the swap in 6 hours, just have the frame and the bike side by side

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
I did a frame swap (twice, one was a 10r and the other was a 636) recently and if you're mechanically inclined you can do the swap in 6 hours, just have the frame and the bike side by side
WOW!!! 6HRs.....guess I am just anal about how shit goes back together....I would spend weeks making sure everything is mounted per the manual taking my time,reading the correct torque values, routing, lubing or loctite stuff, cleaning connectors sense they are exposed already, maybe checking some clearances of certain things and marking everything to go back in the correct place if it's my first time....but that's just me. :badteeth::helmet:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Both times I did not disconnect the main harness from the motor, only disconnected the necessary ones just as the lights, gas tank, air filter and gauges.

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
Both times I did not disconnect the main harness from the motor, only disconnected the necessary ones just as the lights, gas tank, air filter and gauges.

See, that's where I would do different unless you miss read the Thread Title this is not an Engine swap but a complete FRAME swap. That means EVERYTHING must be touched in someway or another SO 6hrs on a ZX10R that is the lightest bike with tight clearances everywhere :badteeth::dontknow: I would take my time but then again that's probably why I would never own a bike shop I would loose money for being so anal by trying to do it too right. :badteeth:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
yeahr, I have taken off 2 bent frames which I replaced with 2 ron ayers frames, so yes, EVERYTHING. Meaning swingarm, subframe, front end. It's when I drop the motor from the damaged one, I keep the main harness connected to the motor, minus unplugging what I stated previously.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i got a bent frame i need to switch mines i know righty tighty lefty loosy am i good?
jk with the ron ayers frames if i bought a replacement would i have to get a new vin and change everything over or is it possible to get one with the same vin ? and how much would it run for an 07 se 10

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
i got a bent frame i need to switch mines i know righty tighty lefty loosy am i good?
jk with the ron ayers frames if i bought a replacement would i have to get a new vin and change everything over or is it possible to get one with the same vin ? and how much would it run for an 07 se 10
I don't know what state you live in but in NY if you bring your damaged frame and the receipt of the purchase of your new frame they will restamp your frame with the original VIN number. And you don't have to buy a specific 07 frame, it will be the same 06/07 zx10r frame.

·
Registered
241 Posts
ahh

i didnt know they could do that now if i could find a new frame that comes with a swingsrm attached i would probably have enough balls to try the swap myself

1 - 20 of 22 Posts