Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what this could be, or if its something i should be worried about?? any help would be great thanks...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea its an 05 zx10 with about 20,000 miles, also noticed that some times wont shift up unless it hit the lever twice.. recently switched to full synthetic 2 oil changes ago..

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,549 Posts
Yes, you should be worried about it! From the sounds of it, you have a rod bearing or main bearing problem. Major issue. We need some more background on the symptoms to give you a better idea though. Are you experiencing any other symptoms? Sounds like knocking or metal-on-metal while running? How big are the flakes you're finding?

I just got done replacing the crankshaft in a Triumph Speed Triple that spun a rod bearing after being run too low on oil and starved the center cylinder. There were bits of the brass bearing from the center rod bearing all over the inside of the case. It took a new crankshaft and matching connecting rods to fix the problem.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,549 Posts
yea its an 05 zx10 with about 20,000 miles, also noticed that some times wont shift up unless it hit the lever twice.. recently switched to full synthetic 2 oil changes ago..
Are you sure the flakes are brass? If you're finding flakes in a gold color, then it would indicate a bearing problem to me as. If they are silver metal flakes and you're having a hard time shifting, then it could be transmission related (damaged shift drum or gear dogs). Does it pop out of gear once under power? Or will it not go into gear unless you work the lever harder? These are the types of indications that would help pinpoint your problem.

Metal flakes in the oil means something is majorly wrong and you should be getting it looked at right away before more damage occurs.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no loss in performance, the is a weird ticking noise every once in a while at idol, flakes arnt vry big but noticeable, some bigger than others probably about 1mm in diameter, the weird thing is its getting the best mileage i have ever gotten out of it, only owned it for about 3-4 months bought with oil blacker than black, that's the first thing i did was the oil change, and about 500-1000 miles ago started noticing shifting problems, and a louder noize cumming from what seems like the lower half.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes they were gold in color, didnt notice any silver flakes. no popping out of gear seems to have the shifting problem when im on the freeway shifting between 2-3-4 at at about 7000-9000 rpm, i did notice if i hold it up longer than it ill go into gear. i took it to the track in oct and it ran really good numbers for it being cold out i ended up dropping it at about 5mph and when i re started it noticed some weird noises they went away so i didnt think anything of it, i changed the oil 2 weeks ago which was about 1200 miles ago and seen the flakes, so i put a little thicker oil in it seemed to quiet it down a little but its still there, tore apart the clutch and everything looked good there..

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,549 Posts
I think you're going to have to split the crankcase and get in there to get a good look at things. The gold flakes and noise are meaningful indications. The fact that you put thicker oil in there and things seemed to quiet down still lead me to think you've got a bearing problem. Don't be fooled into thinking that the thicker oil will fix the problem! If there's noticeable metal in the oil, that's serious. I'd pull the motor, split the cases and go through a thorough inspection of the transmission and crankshaft.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kinda what i was thinking... :sad:, just thought may be a fluke thing. and wouldn't have to tear it apart... haha wishful thinking i guess.. the only bad thing is my mechanic is 700 miles away and its been snowing and to cold to get it to him..

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,549 Posts
Well, on a positive note, it's still snowing where you are so you can't ride it anyway! :lol:

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
When/if you pull the engine and split it make sure to mik and plastigauge both the rod and crank! And make sure to get the specs from kawi bc the dealer around here wouldn't give me the specs bc on the dealer website the bearings are set by color not size, and w spinning a bearing and miking and plastigauging I thought I'd still run w what was in it.... Bad idea! Spun another bearing 20miles after I replaced a lot of crap... And I'm a auto tech myself and it pissed me off they wouldn't give me the size specs for each color bearing! Take your time with it and have a friend there to give you a hand, be careful with the nut inside the clutch basket, it's a tricky bastard(on mine at least) and it made me buy a whole new engine. While you've got it apart, buy a shim kit and shim the valves and w that high of miles I'm sure it needed it anyways. Also real easy to p&p the exhaust ports while the heads off! Haha just a little more breathing room! Good luck man, b safe and just take your time. I rushed myself to make it to moto gp n I had to ride a yellow 599... EmbarASSing! And sad lol

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea that was my other question what if anything should i do to the motor performance wise while im in there.. im buying a new kawi race cam from one of the members off here so that will be done... i just hope it makes it to utah from phx in a couple months but its running stronger then it did when i bought it speed wise it kinda weird

·
Registered
101 Posts
Lol less friction hahaha jp, if there's chunks in the bottom of your oil pain, I bet your filter is pretty full! Check your timing chain tensioner as well and your timing change and guides, just do a good once over and if you're getting the cams I recomend a .45mm head gasket to bump up the compression and shell run like a rapped ape! There's a guy on here who does exhaust cams for 150 with shipping included and I've heard nothing but good things about his work! That's what I'm going to do w the fresh engine! Just really try to do all you've ever thought about doing while you're in there! Smog block off plates or make your own, don't rush lol I can't say that enough! It's hard not too but figure out what'll be easiest to do and do it all in steps, don't let your mind get ahead of your hands! Lol I think you'll be fine, I can't wait to get mine back(when the snow goes away!)

·
Registered
346 Posts
If your running a spin-on oil filter, cut it open and gently unfold the paper element onto a clean surface. See what's in it.
Hope you kept it, post us up some pics.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
chk the clutch too..cheaper and easier..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts