Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my bike over to the suspension guru yesterday to get it dialed in. Turns out that the front forks are sticking, once the front end is on the ground it takes about 40-50lbs to get them to move at all.

I've tried loosening all the triple clamp bolts to make sure they aren't cockeyed. On the stem stand, with everything off the front (wheel, calipers, fender) and the suspension unloaded they move easily independently. If i put the axle in with no wheel, they still move easily. If i put the wheel on up in the air they still move easily, no stick.

When i drop the front back onto the ground, they compress under the weight of the front end but then they stick again. If i get on the bike very gently they dont compress at all.

Any ideas? I think im going to try and pull the forks off and check em with a runout gauge first.. but i know that the top inch of travel in the forks is smooth.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Change Gurus.

Heres what to do.

1.Remove all preload.
2.Remove all rebound and compression.

If they still stick you may have a problem.

Unless your Guru went into the forks and messed with the internals.

Or overfilled them.

Anyway, zero everything and see if you have movement up and down.

If you do and there is no stichion , you are probably good to go.

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
I took my bike over to the suspension guru yesterday to get it dialed in. Turns out that the front forks are sticking, once the front end is on the ground it takes about 40-50lbs to get them to move at all.

I've tried loosening all the triple clamp bolts to make sure they aren't cockeyed. On the stem stand, with everything off the front (wheel, calipers, fender) and the suspension unloaded they move easily independently. If i put the axle in with no wheel, they still move easily. If i put the wheel on up in the air they still move easily, no stick.

When i drop the front back onto the ground, they compress under the weight of the front end but then they stick again. If i get on the bike very gently they dont compress at all.

Any ideas? I think im going to try and pull the forks off and check em with a runout gauge first.. but i know that the top inch of travel in the forks is smooth.
Its NOT an 08 model is it?

JJ

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JJ, it's an 04

FAF, tried backing off all the way on preload and damping, still sticking.

When i get a chance i'll pull the forks and check for straightness.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
You are going to have to pull them, I presume the coating is still on the fork leg and not scratched/worn off ?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, the black nitride coating appears to be fine. fork seal and wipers are recent and there's no slop in the fork so i dont think its the bushings.

i will pull them and check them with a runout guage.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
So, at static sag you cant compress them, is this what you are saying ? or will they not lift up ?

If they wont compress easily but still move I would check the oil height and the shim stack to see if they are locked out.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can, when you drop the bike off the stem stand they do compress under the weight of the front but once the front end is down you can push on the grips with probably about 40lbs of force before they move any farther.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
If it was a mechanical issue , I could see it happening with one leg , but not both.

Also remember when you have tested the legs individually there would be half the load.

I would make sure the legs are clamping the axle in the correct place and that the locknut and spacers are inserted properly.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it was a mechanical issue , I could see it happening with one leg , but not both.

Also remember when you have tested the legs individually there would be half the load.

I would make sure the legs are clamping the axle in the correct place and that the locknut and spacers are inserted properly.
you just made me think of something. when i change my front wheel i never loosen the pinch bolts on the nut-side, only the axle side. i'm not sure what, if any, effect that would have on it but its something i should check.

anyway, im likely not going to get a chance to check until the weekend. i'll get back to ya.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In his defense, he never adjusted anything on the bike. I took it over to him to get it tuned in a bit better and the first thing he noticed was that the forks were sticking. Stupid me hadn't noticed it at that point.

Hopefully i can get it figured out for less than a small fortune by Aug 6th (next track day).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts