Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, how are you compressing your forks with a strap? I keep trying to do it on the 10, but it's not compressing a lot.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I just get the 2 out of your avatar? lol. I dunno. Its got a cam buckle so Im supposed to be able to just pull and push on the front and itll compress. Mine dont compress that much though.

Anybody?? Need to know for the strip tonight. Just got them setup last night

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
BE CAREFUL...

Sit on the bike, grab the strap with your left hand and pull on it slightly, start rolling the bike forward, grab the front brake and pull on the strap at the same time...

Like I said BE CAREFUL

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what am I being careful for specifically? Like, is there something other than the obvious (dropping the bike, smacking plastics with the buckle, punching myself in the face by losing my grip on the strap? haha) I should be worried about?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Just dropping the bike because you have to hit the brakes pretty good to get it to compress the forks.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
way cool, I will give that a try. I figured I would be able to do the same thing via pushing the bars. No dice. thank you mucho!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
You just gotta be careful not to drop the bike as you only have one hand on the bars. When I used to ride the bike to the track, I would find a fellow bike racer to help me. I would hold the front brake and bounce the front suspension while they pull the strap tight. If I don't have any help, I'll hold the front brake and bounce the front end while pulling tight with my left hand. Usually not as effective but gets it sucked down quite a bit. Now that I haul the bike to the track, I just throw the strap on before I let out the tie downs.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Dude its not that serious! As long as your strap is in good shape it'll be fine. Hell mine has been freyed since I put it on 6 years ago and it still works like a champ. You really have 3 options. 1. sit hold your front brake and pull your strap as you push the front down with your right hand on the bar. 2. Have a friend help you. I have a friend sit on mine and hold the front brake and pull the strap as I pull down the front end. option 3 works GREAT as long as your careful. I usually do it after I tech especially if i'm by myself. I just get goin, grab my strap with my left hand, get where no gravel or anything is, and grab your front brake and pull your strap. Of course you need to let off your front brake after, so make sure you carry enough speed to be able to grab your brake enough to get your strap tight, but still have enough speed to not wobble. Just remember don't grab a BUNCH of front brake, it doesn't take that much, especially if your pullin your strap pretty good too..

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cooooo!! I will let you guys know how this goes after tonight. If I drop it, Im gonna negative rep all of you! just messin. love you guys!! hahaha thanks again.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Be careful using the front brake to stop at the strip, if you hit them to hard your front end has a higher possibility of washing out, and that's not fun at 100+mph

·
Registered
871 Posts
:thumbsup: Good luck! I'm jealous too btw...we just got over a foot of snow dumped on us yesterday so it'll be a while before I see any track time. Good thing about it is I've been able to spend the last two days in the garage making some progress on the 10.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Be careful using the front brake to stop at the strip, if you hit them to hard your front end has a higher possibility of washing out, and that's not fun at 100+mph
:thumbsup: Super useful!! I wasnt even aware of that kind of thing. I just figured Id have like no brake dive since it was compressed out. Ill watch out for it. I dont get a ton of room to stop though, so well see how much I gotta push it. Thanks!!

:thumbsup: Good luck! I'm jealous too btw...we just got over a foot of snow dumped on us yesterday so it'll be a while before I see any track time. Good thing about it is I've been able to spend the last two days in the garage making some progress on the 10.
Move to Cali. Weathers great. Laws suck. Ive not ridden about 10 days total since 2012 started. Not gloating, just a fact.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Well, how'd you do man?
I cut my new chain too short for new rear sprocket and now I am waiting for another master link to arrive. Good thing track isn't even open yet here.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
spun everywhere from the line to like the 100ft. Everyone was having hookin up problems, but mine were probably the worst. I need to work on my suspension setup for the strip too though. Dropped the pressure and released the strap for more weight transfer to the back and it was still having problems. Had to go soft on the launch. I need a shinko for it for sure. I think I want to try reducing the gearing on it. Was 17/44, but I think if I got a new tire it would be less of an issue.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Definitely get a new back tire. Try the new tire before changing gearing. Get either the Stealth U-soft or even the Hook Up Shinko. I haven't tried the hook up yet but want too. Though the u soft works GREATtoo. They are super sticky and a MUCH BIGGER center contact patch. I set rear tire to 22-25 psi cold at track and the u soft hooks great man. It does really well on the street too. The hook up will be even better on strip but less life on street since its even softer.
Great tire choice for strip and street use is the Shinko Stealth U Soft. And that Hook-Up is supposed to be lighter, stickier and just as cheap price wise at $135 shipped or less.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Be careful if you're going to use a hook up on the street. They probably have a softer carcass and is why they are lighter. A softer carcass will move around alot more and be unsafe for the street. I have the shinko stealth (not the u-soft) and it rides great on the street and at the track. Unprepped track and 30 psi and it still wheelies.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Be careful if you're going to use a hook up on the street. They probably have a softer carcass and is why they are lighter. A softer carcass will move around alot more and be unsafe for the street. I have the shinko stealth (not the u-soft) and it rides great on the street and at the track. Unprepped track and 30 psi and it still wheelies.
The U-soft lasts nearly as long as the regular stealth does. But man does it get sticky with a little burn out. Brock did a write up on his forum about breaking in the U-soft to help prolong its life. He says to do a short, easy burnout to heat it up good. Nothing crazy. Supposedly it helps release the rubber compound molecules and keep it soft.
It works too. I tried it with my second U-soft to see. Did a short burnout right away after putting it on, the first 20 miles of use. Thing stayed uber soft and made it heat up quicker its entire life. I do that all the time now.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was planning on getting the Stealth. I dont know about going U-Soft yet. I want to see how the regular Stealth works for me. cheaper too on me right now. I can barely afford stuff since the stretch.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Shop around. You can find the U-soft for $125-$130 shipped. Like $10 more than regular Stealth man. well worth it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts