Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set the sag on my 07 this weekend (stock parts – 30 mm) in preparation for an upcoming track day and found that I had to dial the preload in to the very last line up front. The shock out back still had a good bit of adjustment left in her. I assume this means I need stiffer springs up front for my weight.

Does anyone know what the stock springs are rated at and where I can find reasonably priced upgraded springs? I would love to do the whole Ohlins thing but that is a lot of $$ to drop and I am actually rather satisfied with the stock setup (though I have never ridden on Ohlins before).

I assume I am not hurting anything by having it dialed almost all the way in but I would like to have a bit more adjustability should I want more preload up front.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Somethings ounds odd. The oem rear spring is much lighter than the fronts. You "should" need a rear also is the fronts need that much preload.

But to answer your question, yes, you need springs. You won't hurt anything running full preload but will get a harsh ride. Springs run about $100 a set and install is pretty simple.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just rebuilt the shocks with 5w oil. Aside from that it's all stock. Where can I get the springs? Any idea what the stock spring rate is so I know where to go for the replacements?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
racetech has OEM spring rates on their website.
Thanks. Looks like the stock rate is about right for my weight according to their website?

Stock Fork Spring Rate: 1.000 kg/mm (stock)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input all. I am heading to the track soon which is why I am trying to get everything set up right now. Hopefully we will get a few more warm weekends soon for me to dial it in.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks. Looks like the stock rate is about right for my weight according to their website?

Stock Fork Spring Rate: 1.000 kg/mm (stock)
race techs site is often incorrect related to stock rates. Second gens are more like .9 stock. The rear shock is even softer and pretty much a POS.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
race techs site is often incorrect related to stock rates. Second gens are more like .9 stock. The rear shock is even softer and pretty much a POS.
+1 Also if you bring your speng to a spuspension guy they can measure the actual rate. They often varry from what they are marked.

I went to 1.0's when I installed the AK20's. (220lbs w/o gear)

And +1 to Traxxion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts