Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think my fork seals might be leaking :BangHead: anyways didnt know if anyone had experienced this before with such low miles (8000). Theres a slight oil residue on the forks after a ride but i didnt know if it could be because its cold and they havent expanded yet or am i just wishfully thinking? :dontknow: Anyways if i have to get them done, whats a good price and what all should i have done since they are going to be off? Get them revalved, re-sprung, etc.?? I got quoted 300 bucks for the intake cam and head gasket install, is that a fair price? I think i might just splurge and get it all done and maybe throw in some new springs for my weight in the front, any opinions welcome, thanks! :eek:ccasion1

heres a pic for clarification if needed, oil is located on the part circled in red...

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
mine were leakin, its in the shop right now for the seals.
if you run your finger on the tubes and you have residue i think you may be leakin a little.

·
Registered
274 Posts
what did they give you for an estimate? are you just getting the seals done?
Havent gotten it yet, I put it in the shop Monday, said it should be ready by this weekend. i noticed it after I would tie it down on the trailer. i ran it at hallett on the 22nd and after the sessions the forks were leaking bad enough to be dripping on the ground.
There is a crack in my tank that I discovered from the previous owner that just painted over it, the paint started to peel from the crack and the fuel leak. So I am gettin that fixed too.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Havent gotten it yet, I put it in the shop Monday, said it should be ready by this weekend. i noticed it after I would tie it down on the trailer. i ran it at hallett on the 22nd and after the sessions the forks were leaking bad enough to be dripping on the ground.
There is a crack in my tank that I discovered from the previous owner that just painted over it, the paint started to peel from the crack and the fuel leak. So I am gettin that fixed too.
well definitely let me know how much it costs so i know about how much to prepare to spend when i take it there :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how are they fixin the tank?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
if you trailer your bike often. This can cause fork seals to blow. I replaced mine the expensive route. Ohlins forks.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you trailer your bike often. This can cause fork seals to blow. I replaced mine the expensive route. Ohlins forks.
dont trailer it often, but we did strap it down pretty tight when we got it out of storage on the back of my buddies truck, think that could have started the leak?

·
Registered
274 Posts
how are they fixin the tank?
First they were gonna weld, then they said maybe epoxy. they are gonna check to see how bad the crack is. Apparently the guy I bought it from cracked it and patched it up then painted over it. Didnt hold up very long, well long enough to sell it to me!!
but I got a good deal on it so I guess i shouldnt complain to much.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
dont trailer it often, but we did strap it down pretty tight when we got it out of storage on the back of my buddies truck, think that could have started the leak?
that what causes it. Strap it down, drive pickup over a bump bike suspension compresses suddenly and blows the seals.
Mine goes in the pickup nearly every Sunday. Blew the seals out. Found out only after a track session when I got fork oil all over my lower fairing.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
274 Posts
that what causes it. Strap it down, drive pickup over a bump bike suspension compresees suddenly and blows the seals.
Mine goes in the pickup nearly every Sunday. Blew the seals out. Found out only after a track session when I got fork oil all over my lower fairing.:mrgreen:
Yeah I think that plays a big part, but what else can ya do. besides buy the front braces. but when I first bought it they were leakin but barely so i didnt pay much attention to it. just got worse with wear. And that was last year so i guess I am cryin over somethin that could be worse, and was bound to happen sooner or later.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that what causes it. Strap it down, drive pickup over a bump bike suspension compresses suddenly and blows the seals.
damnit :diablo_an i knew i should have just rode it over there, what does it cost to get them replaced? guess i wont be trailering them in the back of a truck anymore :headshake

·
Registered
274 Posts
damnit :diablo_an i knew i should have just rode it over there, what does it cost to get them replaced? guess i wont be trailering them in the back of a truck anymore :headshake
$200 I think, I hope I am wrong, but thats what I heard someone sayin awhile back. of course they werent talkin to me and I was dippin in his kool aide!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$200 I think, I hope I am wrong, but thats what I heard someone sayin awhile back. of course they werent talkin to me and I was dippin in his kool aide!
that doesnt seem that bad for all the work they have to do to get the front end off and everything? :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
you could in future use a front wheel chock and one of those pitbulls rear clamp. And only strap it in a way that prevents the bike tilting sideways. That way the bike travels using natural range of the suspension.

·
Registered
274 Posts
that doesnt seem that bad for all the work they have to do to get the front end off and everything? :dontknow:
yeah I know, but thats almost a set of tires brotha!! I would do it myself but would probably end up dead after the damn forks fall apart on me at 150 after my crappy work.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you could in future use a front wheel chock and one of those pitbulls rear clamp. And only strap it in a way that prevents the bike tilting sideways. That way the bike travels using natural range of the suspension.
got a picture or link to what you mean :dontknow:

·
Registered
274 Posts
yeah thats what all the cool kids are doin nowadays!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts