Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year in March, my 2005 10R had leaky fork seals.

I took my bike to a friends house, we pulled the forks, and took them to a shop to have OEM seals put on.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago... pulling the bike out of the garage, I noticed leaky fork seals.

WTF.

I order OEM seals/dust seals from the local Kaw dealer, and make an appointment with ( arguably ) the bay areas best suspension shop.

I told the guy at the shop to be on the look out for oddities with the prior install, or issues with fork legs ( mars etc.)
(He did mention that the "black" coated fork legs seem to have more issues with seals going bad... but never (rarely) with the OEM seals.)

I picked the bike up tonight (verifying with the guy the forks looked great), and rode home 15 miles.

I looked at the forks when gettting home, and one of the fork seals are leaking.

WTF

This image doesn't show the contrast well, but there's leakage.

I *hate* taking my bike to other shops... I've had my front wheel off a few times and never marred the freaking forks. How hard is this? Particularly if this is your full time job?

I forgot the stock distance from fork tube to triple clamp... is this in the neighborhood?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
In that one pic that shows the fork and receipt, that is perfectly normal to see on a 10R or any other bike. The reason why you see it on our bike with the black coating is because it contrasts with the fluid and shows. On a bike with no coating on the sliders you don't see it but the exact same is present. It is perfectly normal to have a "light" film on the sliders, it's when you start getting build up on the bottom of the fork tube or obvious leaking you have to worry.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
:+1: That film you see is normal. Unlesss you are getting drips or fluid build up at the fork leg itself you forks are not leaking.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
As far as where the forks are flush is stock on the 05 ZX10R. I dropped mine 2mm in the front and like it that way. I think where you got your forks are a bit extreme.

·
can we ride yet!?!?!?
3,522 Posts
In that one pic that shows the fork and receipt, that is perfectly normal to see on a 10R or any other bike. The reason why you see it on our bike with the black coating is because it contrasts with the fluid and shows. On a bike with no coating on the sliders you don't see it but the exact same is present. It is perfectly normal to have a "light" film on the sliders, it's when you start getting build up on the bottom of the fork tube or obvious leaking you have to worry.
:+1: mine were the same after new seals. it does get less as time goes by but it still there. i thought of it as oil residue from the previous leak. but i have been wrong before.

as far as your fork tubes go....some will raise the fork tubes from 3 to 5 mm to promote better handling. it will help the bike "turn in" better into the corners.(you can search it and find good reading on it) it looks to me like someone just did you a favor in that regards.

that is just one adjustment to make the stock suspension alittle better. i'm sure someone will let me know if i'm wrong:lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts