Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching the threads, can someone tell me that yes, definately, I need the fork compression tool before I change them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
NO you do not need it to replace seals and fluid. Basically just unscrew the top cap then hit the bottom allen bolt with an impact. The spring and damper will just slip right out leaving you with only the fork inner and outer tubes.

04-05 i'm 100% sure
06-07 think so

·
Registered
495 Posts
NO you do not need it to replace seals and fluid. Basically just unscrew the top cap then hit the bottom allen bolt with an impact. The spring and damper will just slip right out leaving you with only the fork inner and outer tubes.

04-05 i'm 100% sure
06-07 think so
Is there a better seal to go with or just replace with the oem seals? I have an 06 and my right seal is leaking.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Is there a better seal to go with or just replace with the oem seals? I have an 06 and my right seal is leaking.

Normally, oem seals have worked on a change out without any issues. Make sure and clean any burrs on the leg. Have fun.

·
Registered
107 Posts
OEM hands down. I have had little to no luck with the "leak proof" seals. By the way cut a grocery bag in half and lube it with oil, then slip it over the inner tube so that the new oil seal can slide down over it without being cut by the holes that are in the tube itself. If not you may end up doing the job again.
If you have any other questions feel free to PM me or e-mail.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The new Guy!

Hello to all, I have been around for a few months just reading different threads and you guys do I great job communicating info. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
495 Posts
OEM hands down. I have had little to no luck with the "leak proof" seals. By the way cut a grocery bag in half and lube it with oil, then slip it over the inner tube so that the new oil seal can slide down over it without being cut by the holes that are in the tube itself. If not you may end up doing the job again.
If you have any other questions feel free to PM me or e-mail.

Thanks for the info, I may contact you when I decide to get my hands dirty. Im hopeing my small leak that is just coating the fork sleeve will stay that way till winter when I wont lose ride time! :helmet:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts