Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently needed to replace my fork seals and in the meantime aquired a set of heavier springs. My bike is a gen 2 but these springs were from a gen 1. Ive put the gen 1 and 2 stock springs side by side and theyre identical in looks but these springs were roughly 2 inches longer, and a pain to compress I might add. Well everything went well, no leaky seals, the springs definitely feel better but when theyre under pressure and going over bumps it feels as if they are bouncing around inside the forks a bit. I took them apart and checked the fork oil level and put everything back together but it still has this issue. I went onto race techs website and the gen1 and 2 do have different part numbers but the size of the stock springs are the same so Im lost as to what would be causing this problem!! I also went with a 15 weight oil instead of the stock 10 weight. Once again any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys

·
Registered
858 Posts
Are the gen 1 springs the ones that were longer? If so it makes sense. There is more stored energy in a longer spring when compressed. The bouncing may be due to it trying but failing to return to a "natural state" which it can't with the gen 2 fork. Springs are only one part of the equation as the other internal parts of the fork are made to work together given the specifications of the other parts. When you introduce a part that is not with in spec all you do is add problems. It seems the only true solution is to get the correct springs or return to the stock springs.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thing is Ive talked to numerous people about beefing up my forks and they all said all they would do is put in heavier springs. Ive done plenty of fork seals so I know how easy it is to swap springs. The stock gen1 are the same size as the stock gen2 so I figured these would be fine. Wasnt sure if I may have needed to modify something internally now to make them work. Guess I'll put the stock springs back in for now

·
Registered
227 Posts
Do these forks have spacers? If so then they'll need to be shortened the same amount that the springs are longer. If you've compressed the gen 1 springs 2" more than stock then you'll have way too much preload and the forks are probably topping out badly. If there's no spacer in there, you'll need shorter springs....

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do these forks have spacers? If so then they'll need to be shortened the same amount that the springs are longer. If you've compressed the gen 1 springs 2" more than stock then you'll have way too much preload and the forks are probably topping out badly. If there's no spacer in there, you'll need shorter springs....
Interesting!!So part number 92026 in this link needs to be cut down to match the extra length on the new springs??

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/showschematic/m10050sch445909

·
Registered
858 Posts
I agree. The heavier spring is fine but it is the length that is your problem. You want to make sure you measure the free length, uncompressed, of each spring and then cut the difference from the spacer.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, done and bike is nearly assembled! I'll let you know in a few hrs if she's fixed!!! Thanks for the help!! Was so much easier compressing everything with the spacers cut!! Lol!!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cut down the spacers to what was recommended and the issue got worse. Now I could physically feel the spring bouncing around inside the forks. Not good. Took them apart and brought them back to stock with some spare spacers I had lying around, felt good but noticed my steering head had come loose. Tightened everything up, put ,my stock shock back on and now everything feels good and evened out! Till I can afford some new forks or to have mine rebuilt this will have to do! Thanks for all the help!!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I cut down the spacers to what was recommended and the issue got worse. Now I could physically feel the spring bouncing around inside the forks. Not good. Took them apart and brought them back to stock with some spare spacers I had lying around, felt good but noticed my steering head had come loose. Tightened everything up, put ,my stock shock back on and now everything feels good and evened out! Till I can afford some new forks or to have mine rebuilt this will have to do! Thanks for all the help!!
I dont understand what youve done??? Do you have your stock forks back on with the stock springs in them and are they fine??? Did you say that you put your stock back shock back on???

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont understand what youve done??? Do you have your stock forks back on with the stock springs in them and are they fine??? Did you say that you put your stock back shock back on???
I have an ohlins shock that I had revalved and sprung to my weight, with that my bike felt off balance. A buddy with an 04 bought some spare forks that had racetech springs set for a larger rider so I took those springs and put them in my forks when I did my fork seals. When I went over bumps or under braking I could feel everything in my forks bouncing around freely a bit. It was a pain to compress the larger spring so it made sense the spacer needed to be shortened to fit the new spring. Im guessing that spring set up is just not meant for my machine because when I put the stock springs and spacers back in everything feels fine. I also removed the ohlins until I can rebuild or buy new forks so the bike feels evened out again. I got a good deal on the ohlins(only reason I went that route)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I have a extra set of stock forks you can borrow if you want.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a extra set of stock forks you can borrow if you want.
Thank you man but my forks are fine now once I brought them back to stock. I thought I could use the heavier springs from an 04 but it just caused problems. Im selling my zx6 and I think once that goes Im going to invest in some sort of upgrade for my front suspension. Thank you though, I do appreciate the offer

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
i dont see why your having problems with the ohlins rear shock now... you can adjust the ride heigth with the shock... Is the bike falling into the turns too easy and it feels too twitchy??? Or does it feel like its fighting you in the turns??? It has to be set up problem.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im 255 lbs and the rear is sprung for me. The bike just feels completely off balance with that shock in there. Ive gone through many different settings. Im no suspension guy by any means though so I was probably way off quilter with my settings but I just figured Id pull it for now until I can do the front. I have no idea where to go to talk to someone around here for proper adjustments and just dont know what else to do. The bikes very soft with the suspension the way it is but its predictable and I have more confidence with it this way....for now. Im sure youre absolutely right though, with the proper adjustments it would be fine but I just cant seem to find that sweet spot

·
Registered
227 Posts
So you put the stock springs back in?
Whatever was going on sounds very odd, i spose I'm only guessing without actually having them in front of me. just seems very odd that you say the springs feel like they are bouncing around inside, yet are real tight to compress initially.....oh well...:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So you put the stock springs back in?
Whatever was going on sounds very odd, i spose I'm only guessing without actually having them in front of me. just seems very odd that you say the springs feel like they are bouncing around inside, yet are real tight to compress initially.....oh well...:dontknow:
I felt the same way!! Was very odd!! Once I cut the spacers down I could feel the springs physically bouncing around inside of them! Before hand it seemed like the whole insides were bouncng together!, really an unnerving feeling when youre braking. Im probably going to dig into this again. My steering head was a bit loose so that could have been an issue as well, probably was but I really wanted to ride and I knew that the stock formula while soft worked so I went that route till I have some more time! I do appreciate your help though man, very much!!!!

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
There is something wrong in your forks other then the spring.. I would be willing to bet you may have messed something up by trying to stuff too long of a spring into the fork! fork rates are measured by coil tension they use different metals and coil thickness to determine coil rate! I believe the gen 2 has less fork travel i.e. if you collapse your forks all the way they will not bottom out on the outside of the tube there is a mechanical stop on the inside as where the gen one will fully collapse that is why the spring is longer!

Reactions: flthy1

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is something wrong in your forks other then the spring.. I would be willing to bet you may have messed something up by trying to stuff too long of a spring into the fork! fork rates are measured by coil tension they use different metals and coil thickness to determine coil rate! I believe the gen 2 has less fork travel i.e. if you collapse your forks all the way they will not bottom out on the outside of the tube there is a mechanical stop on the inside as where the gen one will fully collapse that is why the spring is longer!
Hmmm, well that sucks!!! I hope that is not the case! I have returned them to stock and they seem to be performing the same as before I did anything to them. I do plan on upgrading soon but hope these last a while. So if I did damage them does that mean that they cannot be rebuilt with a new cartridge kit?, or that would be fine? Thanks for the info man!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts