Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 04 zx10 and is it common to have 13 clicks on the left side rebound adjuster and 8 on the right? and has any one removed some fork oil to increase fork travel ?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Should be the same ammount of clicks on each side. Decreasing or increasing fork oil will NOT change the amount of travel. HTH.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
No, it's not common. No reason for them to
be different.

I have seen some guys run different spring
rates in MX.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My manual for my 09 ZX10R says I should have 13 clicks, but i counted 15!!!

That being said it was the same for both.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not aware of any Kawi's running different forks for each side, but a couple of the Euro bikes & I think the new R1 run 1 fork for compression & the other for rebound...like the moto gp bikes do

·
Registered
103 Posts
My tuner says ALL zx10r have incorrect rebound valving and to back out both screws ALL THE WAY..or get a revalve kit(bigger holes)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
My tuner says ALL zx10r have incorrect rebound valving and to back out both screws ALL THE WAY..or get a revalve kit(bigger holes)
Incorrect? BS. Revalving the suspension
is definately $ well spent, but the stock
rebound adjustment does work as well as
any other stock bike.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You can get more fork travel with an oil level reduction, but there is more to it than just taking out, say, 15ml from each fork. I messed around with forks for about 2 years, taking them apart, swapping springs and valving, learned a lot. The most important lesson I learned is take it to someone who does it for a living!

·
Registered
530 Posts
someone has been into your forks and incorrectly set the fork caps on the cartrige rod. the leg with 8 clicks needs to come apart and be reset.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yes, there is nut that locks against the fork cap. After removing the caps, adjust the nuts to the correct distance before reinstalling the caps.

The stock adjusters are not near as good as aftermarket, but they do work and should be used (not just turned all the way out.) True, many use too much rebound.

No, you can not modifiy travel by adjusting oil level.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i thank all for the info , i understand that i cant get more travel then was manufactured into the forks . the manual says there is 120mm of usable travel and i am only using 80mm do these numbers sound right? edgeflyer could be right that the forks were taken apart and incorrecty reassembled , im thinking they might have put more oil then recomended in them and improperly instaled the fork caps. and i put a tie strap on the fork leg and did a test stop from 140mph on a road with a incline and used 60mm of travel

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yes, there is nut that locks against the fork cap. After removing the caps, adjust the nuts to the correct distance before reinstalling the caps.

The stock adjusters are not near as good as aftermarket, but they do work and should be used (not just turned all the way out.) True, many use too much rebound.

No, you can not modifiy travel by adjusting oil level.
:iamwithst

:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
i thank all for the info , i understand that i cant get more travel then was manufactured into the forks . the manual says there is 120mm of usable travel and i am only using 80mm do these numbers sound right? edgeflyer could be right that the forks were taken apart and incorrecty reassembled , im thinking they might have put more oil then recomended in them and improperly instaled the fork caps. and i put a tie strap on the fork leg and did a test stop from 140mph on a road with a incline and used 60mm of travel

How much do you weigh?

How many lines are showing on your pre load adjusters?

·
Registered
530 Posts
what kinda issues are you having? for street riding the stock oil level should be fine. most kawi's are internaly bottomed when the zip tie shows about 1" of fork tube showing so under hard stopping if your only showing 1" than your bottoming. There's a lot of people who tweak suspensions that shouldn't I suspect your frontend has been improperly tuned.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i was unable to trail break and this is what started me looking at the sag and preload and reb/comp clicks,there is 1 5/8 inch showing,tenn10 155lbs 3 lines 04

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rebound adjuster

finaly took the forks off and changed the oil and found the reason why the rt side had only 8 clicks ,the cap was not set correctly set it to manual specs and they are both the same now at 13 clicks thanks for the help

·
Registered
147 Posts
i got an 08 and weigh about 220 what ball park the front/rear to?
the front is diving a lot under braking. had race tec in the old gs500 track bike and it handled way better this this thing does right now.

not sure how many threads on the prelaod
or how many clicks the right rebound or compresion is at at this time, as i have not tinkered with it from the dealer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts