Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am about to do my front forks and was told that there is a certain type of fork oil for my weight. I am about 210 all geared up. Any help or preference with any of you guys out there?

·
Registered
236 Posts
So i am about to do my front forks and was told that there is a certain type of fork oil for my weight. I am about 210 all geared up. Any help or preference with any of you guys out there?
I went to a 7.5 weight oil and I am about 220lbs with gear on.. Danny Turner (father of Kris Turner ama pro daytona sportbike) recommended maybe going to a 10 weight if the 7.5 didn't feel right..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wheelies/Stoppies or Track-Style riding?? If you feel your front end is too spongy, then try a 15 wt... I went with the 7.5 cause my front felt too stiff and my chassi didnt feel settled prior to cornering.. But then I'm no mechanic either..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hahahaha, we can't all look like Hopkins.. Freakin guy is like 5'2" and 120 lbs soaking wet.. I met him in the pits at Barber and he made me feel like a lard-ass..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Im 6'5 too so its at least somewhat proportioned but 5'2 120?!?!? Dang! Thats one little dude!!! Fast little bugger though!!
Not sure if thats really his size.. But he definitely is a little dude.. And you couldn't be more right about fast.. Check out The Jokers run with him at Daytona.. And I hear The Jokers pretty quick himself..

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=85623&highlight=hopkins

But on the fork oil, did the 15 wt work for you or did you redo your springs??

·
Registered
145 Posts
appreciate the input guys, i think ill go with some 10 weight.
A ten weight is not a ten weight. No two manufacturers fluids flow the same, thin under use the same or lubricate the same. Sorry, didn't mean to make matters worse, but that's the deal. On my high end builds and my racers, I only use Ohlins fork fluid (expensive, but great). On standard rebuilds I use the factory recomendation - including the OEM maker of the fluid - not just the weight.

·
Registered
236 Posts
A ten weight is not a ten weight. No two manufacturers fluids flow the same, thin under use the same or lubricate the same. Sorry, didn't mean to make matters worse, but that's the deal. On my high end builds and my racers, I only use Ohlins fork fluid (expensive, but great). On standard rebuilds I use the factory recomendation - including the OEM maker of the fluid - not just the weight.
Ok Master (Shoginator), I have another question for you.. I just had another leaking seal myself and took my forks back to the Dealer to have them worked. A buddy of mine works there and I get a killer deal. Anyway, I had them to go back to the 10 weight from the 7.5. And when I went to set sag yesterday at around 45-50 degrees in the garage, My rebound was slow as molasses. Stock rebound is supposed to be 10 clicks from the 1st click with the range being 0-11. The compression damper is also ten clicks out from the first click, with a usable range of 0-10. I dialed in my rebound to the stock 10 from 1 plus 1 more equaling 12 total clicks from bottomed out. And on my compression I went to the stock 10 from 1 plus another 3 totaling 14 clicks. When I press down on my chasis to check my rebound the front seems to come up much slower. So I went in the opposite direction and it remained the same. So I am wondering is this just the natural reaction of a 10 wt oil or do I have a bad valve in the cartridge? I was able to set up perfectly with the 7.5 weight... I am stumped and so far all your knowledge has worked out perfectly for me. I am sure at some point you're gonna have to start charging me an online rate! lol:crackup::eek:ccasion1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts