Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys-
have a bit of ocd kicking in on the steering of my gen 2.

my wife recently went to move the bike out of the way to park and she didn't have the kick stand down!! it tipped and luckily it hit the left handlebar at a 45 degree angle against the garage wall and not a full knock to the ground. But when it fell, it caught the left handlebar end and caused the bike to turn hard right

Anyway, when i have the bars square in my hands, the front tire is about (i'll use measurements rather than degrees)a 1/4" pointed to the right. no biggy as it tracks straight. For kicks i loosend the axle, pinch, and lower triples to do the "bouncing" method to see if it all realigned. Tighted all back up and still points to the right?

Possible the handlebar itself got tweaked when it caught?

i read on a thread that the fork tube could possible have twisted in the triple clamp. Does this mean that (sounding stupid here) the fork tube actually twisted within the triple clamp, or that the fork twisted the triple clamp itself? I beleive it is not the latter explination.

if i loosend all, say the left side from the pinch bolts to the upper triple clamps and twist within the clamps, does this have an effect on which way the wheel points?

sorry for the length, like i said OCD.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update

i ordered a new oem left bar, so hopefully that will do it. Both forks were aligned correctly, the axle bold slid in and out easily so i measured the bar ends to a fixed point and sure enough, they were off about 1/4" too much work to take both bars off and compare one to the other. When the new bar comes in, i'll compare then.

Also, just for kicks, i measured the rear wheel alignment and i was in the same boat as many others: the tick marks aren't exact. Wheel was pointed to the left, which may also have contributed to the compensation of steering to the right.....

·
The Pace
7,013 Posts
I can't image my wife trying to move my bike. The two simply don't connect. She would drive into it, though. That I'm sure. I think I would've loosened the left clip and tightened then checked. Hope the new one works.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scout, my thoughts exactly on her moving it, but what do i do....anyway, i loosed, and retightened, the alignment screw underneath that mounts to the triple prevents adjusting, if i don't use that screw i can adjust it into a good position, but again this points to a tweaked bar, again can't be 100% until the bar comes in....thanks tho

·
Chairman of the Board
16,056 Posts
I can't image my wife trying to move my bike. The two simply don't connect. She would drive into it, though. That I'm sure. I think I would've loosened the left clip and tightened then checked. Hope the new one works.
Yeah mine wont come within a three foot radius of mine for fear of her life. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok guys
i got the new left bar in and installed it, i wish it had worked but still the same, looks cleaner if that helps haha

i was searching and found this old thread that seems to be the answer to my prayers but the pix expired or something!!!

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78039

i sort of get the concept but how (trying to imagine) by loosening the clamps/ botls etc do i twist the forks in the tubes? am i right by thinking that i grab ahold of the gold fork tube and literally twist it within the triple clamp? by doing so will that alter the position of the direction the front wheel points?

looking at my bike from the top, i can see the top edge of the left side of the tree if you will, sits higher than the top right side of the triple trees. So that would tell me by somehow bringing the left side down/ back...that would align my wheel. Just not getting how twisting the fork tube accomplishes this?

i wish these pics would populate so i can see

any help??

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,364 Posts
If you still have the issue, the top triple is likely twisted a bit compared to the bottom triple as you mention. Loosen all the clamping bolts around the top triple. Then stand in front of the bike with the front wheel tight between your legs. Pull the bars hard in the direction they need to go to straighten them out, check the alignment, tweak more as needed, and then tighten up everything.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
If you have a stem lift, I will keep the triple clamps just tight enough that you can relax the forks. Verify the fork height, clamp them to spec.

·
Registered
474 Posts
After asking one of the techs at the dealership about my old bikes pulling to the right he mentioned kawasaki made the upper triple clamp Very thin, and their easily slightly tweaked with minimum force. Only way to know for sure is completely taking off the upper clamp and setting it on a true flat surface, preferably metal and see if theirs the slightest gap between left and right.

I got to the point where I said F it, I ride to dam hard to give a crap about tiny stuff like that anymore. But I am defiantly ocd about the fork tubes being no more than 1/10th a MM of each other, same with the rear tire. My caliper is one of the cheapiest best purchases I've ever made for sure. Good luck with solving the issue man!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys-i had another rider take my bike around yesterday to see if he felt what i was saying....he said dude, your nuts the bars are straight. must be me i guess he said the angle of the steering damper was throwing my vision off. what the hell does he know haha....

anyway i am going to try Skydorks rec. i am sure its trial an error with learning anything

correct me if i am wrong. going to try this in this order, BTW much thanks to helping other riders with there bikes!

1. loosen pinch bolts on left and right side of upper tree
2. loosen clipon pinch bolt left & right
3. loosen clipon alignment bolt (underneath triple)
4. loosen steering nut
5. stand in front of bike-alter handlbar position
6. tighten everything up accordingly

Anything i missed? hoping this works, i don't think anything else should be loosened correct because if i loosen the 12mm pinch bolts on the lower clamps, the bike would drop on the forks correct, not touching those unless there is a reason

i don't touch the axle bolts or lower axle pinch bolts either correct?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,364 Posts
he said dude, your nuts the bars are straight.
*You're nuts = You are nuts. Not your nuts which are between your legs.

1. loosen pinch bolts on left and right side of upper tree - YES
2. loosen clipon pinch bolt left & right - YES
3. loosen clipon alignment bolt (underneath triple) - NO
4. loosen steering nut - YES
5. stand in front of bike-alter handlbar position - YES
6. tighten everything up accordingly - YES

if i loosen the 12mm pinch bolts on the lower clamps, the bike would drop on the forks correct - CORRECT

i don't touch the axle bolts or lower axle pinch bolts either correct? - NO

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey guys
did these steps over the weekend. I thought the tubes would twist easy in the triples....it was very hard to have the twisted. i loosenend these bolts mention and they would not twist.

i finally ended up placing the bike on a jack and made all he bolts loose, then they were bale to twist, anyway i measure and aligned everything the best i could. if it is off now, something is bent but from what i "see" and what is felt when riding....things are ok.

not convinced i did these steps correctly or if anything was truly twisted or un-twisted from what i did but things measure up and look aligned now, so i am calling this one case closed.

thanks.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,364 Posts
hey guys
did these steps over the weekend. I thought the tubes would twist easy in the triples....it was very hard to have the twisted. i loosenend these bolts mention and they would not twist.
The steps I gave you above were to try and pull the upper triple tree into alignment with the lower triple tree. Rotating the actual fork tubes inside of the triple tree won't do anything (and can't be done without releasing the lower pinch bolts). It's possible that when the bike hit, the upper triple tree got cocked over compared to the lower one. This sometimes happens and can make the bars feel like they're turned slightly. It doesn't take much. The idea I gave above was to try and tweak the upper triple tree (and the clip-ons since they're attached) a bit back into alignment with the lower triple.

Glad you've closed the case on this, but wanted to help clarify what you were attempting to do above.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Optical illusion with your ohlins on the upper triple is my bet if releasing the pinch bolts does not make a difference. Threw me off for a little while as well.

·
The Pace
7,013 Posts
thanks guys-i had another rider take my bike around yesterday to see if he felt what i was saying....he said dude, your nuts the bars are straight. must be me i guess he said the angle of the steering damper was throwing my vision off. what the hell does he know haha....
I keep thinking that everyone that owns this bike has a ton of experience, but if you are not dialed into this bike, I can say from personal experience when talking with noobs that the slightest thing worries and creates riding problems.

On the other hand, when a babe did a u turn in front of me and I rammed into her, on a FZ1 then, which has a handlebar, the bar on the right side tweaked. I picked up the bike and when she let me go rode the rest of the loop and had a great ride in the twists. got home and then noticed the bar was bent! too funny. Just kinda adjust after reaching whatever level.

·
Registered
382 Posts
^^^ I know what you mean.. Had my front wheel taken off to grease up the bearings and left it off over night. Next morning, i went in the twisties and had a blast rippin'. Came home a little more tired than usual and as i was parking it i noticed that i had forgotten to put the wheel back on. Rofl

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts