Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question here for ya'll who have boosted your 10R's: What plugs do you run that work well? I've searched for a few hours here, and come up with as many conflicting statements about plugs as I think I can stand. Conventional wisdom tells me to run at least a step colder (NGK CR10e's); I get a good part number for an OEM suzuki plug by just changing our "special construction" CR9EIA-9 plug to a CR10EIA-9 plug.... but will that work?

Thoughts, please. :)

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
What are you running on your Connie isn't that good enough? :dontknow:

bloo

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Cr10e gapped to 18-20 thou for boost.

Cant gap OEM plugs, and they tend to foul when run rich.
There you go I would trust this right here I seen OEM plugs on gas what they look like and it wasn't pretty. :badteeth::headshake

bloo

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks DB... to the rescue again. If you're ever in Southern AZ the beer is on me. :beer: Just to clarify, that's the base CR10e... no "I', "A", "X", or "-9" in sight?

On the Connie I just ran stock plugs. They worked for quite well right up until the fuel pump checked out. Even after it got lean and melted the edge of one of the intake valve reliefs on the #4 piston the plug survived intact.:) That bike was only 10.5:1 though.... the ZX is a wee bit higher, and I wanted some experience on this one. :) I've heard lots of This-And-That about plugs and boost... things like "Don't run IR or thin tip plugs" because they can go glow plug on you easier. I agree on tightening the gap up, but we've run IR plugs on the 'ol dodge before at 25psi... it would just blow the spark out once the plugs got a little worn out. Granted it's an apples to oranges comparison compared to a sportbike motor. :)

Usually I don't mind experimenting and finding out for myself, my broke-ass was laid off a few weeks ago & I don't have the money for R&D. :)

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Yep, plain CR10E. Single ground strap, like this;

So looks like the same old story with Platinum plugs way back in the day I wanted to put Nitrous on my Camero but not without doing extensive research first, so did many safe guards like RPM limit switches, activation on full throttle only etc. but the main thing was replace the stock Platinum plugs with a good old BIG Ground strap plug recommended for my setup. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts