Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what true top speed mph would an 05 zx-10 with 16,41 gearing without a speedo healer hit the factory restrictor(186mph). How does the bike kill the power after reaching the set speed? does it get its signal to kill from the speedo?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
set by RPM. U hit the limiter at max RPM. hence top speed is at max RPM. Limiter kills engine.6th gear + 13,000RPM = Limiter cut.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
it pulls timing out. Ivas TRE resolves that.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
it pulls timing out. Ivas TRE resolves that.
that might work on gsxr's and busa's but not on zx10's

the bike is limited by RPM's if you want to go faster on top end yuo can either bump the rev limiter upeither with the KIT ECU or a ignition module from power commander.

with 16, 41 with a 190/55 tire it should probably be in the 170-172ish range

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
5th gear is not limmited and the TRE makes the bike think its in 5th at all times.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
5th gear IS limited..... other wise everyone would blow up their bikes by over revving them. The 10r's are limited by RPM. my bike stock geared will do 186 on the REV LIMITER and I have been mid 190's on the limiter as well.....

My data logger has also showed the rev limiter cutting in in 6th gear at the same RPM as every other gear.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I think someone on the forums did a top end end run with a gps or radar gun but with a -1 up front they were doing 179mph

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not sure about 10's but for top speed 14s all you have to do is go +1 on front sprocket to defeat the limiter.

I would call Ace Performance if you have ANY questions about top speed stuff on 10's...

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah or on the 14's you can get a speedo healer and make it read alot lower, they restrict them with their mph with a soft limiter but doing the +1 up front Im sure will throw off the speedo reading as well....

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
there are 2 "limiters" being discussed here.
1 rev limiter
2 186 limiter.

The 186 limmiter is timing based. thats why you need a TRE. the rev limiter can only be adjusted 250rpms and then you pretty much blow the motor up.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The rev limiter Im talking about is the 186 limiter. I have done some searching and some say there is one and some say there isnt. What I need to know is If there is something in the computer watching the speedo to get to 186 to do something like kill timing so it cant go over that. Factoring in speedo error and the gearing Im figuring that if there was a limiter that read the speedo then with -1,+2 the speedo will be reading 186 at a true 159 mph or so. So if anyone has run a zx-10 at maxton or another mile type event without a speedohealer please chime in. Just want to know if the bike will pull timing or something at the top of the 1/4 over the 159 mph mark because at that point my speedo is reading over 186.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
The rev limiter Im talking about is the 186 limiter. I have done some searching and some say there is one and some say there isnt. What I need to know is If there is something in the computer watching the speedo to get to 186 to do something like kill timing so it cant go over that. Factoring in speedo error and the gearing Im figuring that if there was a limiter that read the speedo then with -1,+2 the speedo will be reading 186 at a true 159 mph or so. So if anyone has run a zx-10 at maxton or another mile type event without a speedohealer please chime in. Just want to know if the bike will pull timing or something at the top of the 1/4 over the 159 mph mark because at that point my speedo is reading over 186.
I understand what you saying Vince, yeah it should be no problem the speedo will not effect anything. When a bunch of us boys on this forum where racing in the desert I had -16t +1 hit 180mph with the Speedohealer, another member in high gear but behind me with NO Speedohealer and -16t hit 189mph but was still accelerating behind me, but he was definitely over 160mph+.

bloo

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,372 Posts
that might work on gsxr's and busa's but not on zx10's

the bike is limited by RPM's if you want to go faster on top end yuo can either bump the rev limiter upeither with the KIT ECU or a ignition module from power commander.

with 16, 41 with a 190/55 tire it should probably be in the 170-172ish range

So then hypothetically, with a 18/39, it should it over 190?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I understand what you saying Vince, yeah it should be no problem the speedo will not effect anything. When a bunch of us boys on this forum where racing in the desert I had -16t +1 hit 180mph with the Speedohealer, another member in high gear but behind me with NO Speedohealer and -16t hit 189mph but was still accelerating behind me, but he was definitely over 160mph+.

bloo
So your saying that there is no 186 mph speed limitation on these bikes is that correct? Or is the bike just geared from the factory to max out at 186.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
So your saying that there is no 186 mph speed limitation on these bikes is that correct? Or is the bike just geared from the factory to max out at 186.
The speedo will actually go to 189 and won't go any higher on the gauge cluster. However you can continue to gain speed which is seen by the rpms increasing after 189 has already been reached. I dunno how fast I've gone because I went two teeth up in the rear. The bike ran almost to the rev limiter in 6th before I let off. So I really think Garth is right in saying the bike runs to max rpms and shuts itself off there. So essentially you make the top speed through gearing an of course power. It takes a good amount of power to break the 200 mark.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
The speedo will actually go to 189 and won't go any higher on the gauge cluster. However you can continue to gain speed which is seen by the rpms increasing after 189 has already been reached. I dunno how fast I've gone because I went two teeth up in the rear. The bike ran almost to the rev limiter in 6th before I let off. So I really think Garth is right in saying the bike runs to max rpms and shuts itself off there. So essentially you make the top speed through gearing an of course power. It takes a good amount of power to break the 200 mark.
Thanks Axo, I was just typing to fast to get my point across but Vince this is exactly what I was saying, there is always of course mapping that can slow down a bike in top gear but the 10r is limited to HP and gearing based and these facts....bottom line if the speedo reaches it's maximum 189mph it's not going to have an effect...the top speed guys can gear you toward more info. to go faster than 186mph by better mapping and gaining extra top end revs/hp etc...but in your case this is nothing you need to worry about in your 1/4 mile stuff.:wink:

bloo

·
Banned
808 Posts
5th gear IS limited..... other wise everyone would blow up their bikes by over revving them. The 10r's are limited by RPM. my bike stock geared will do 186 on the REV LIMITER and I have been mid 190's on the limiter as well.....

My data logger has also showed the rev limiter cutting in in 6th gear at the same RPM as every other gear.

There is no coherence between RPM limiter and gearbox.

All bikes have rpm limiters, so if you reach it, naturally you won't go any further. The same with zx10 zx6r or even 125cc bikes.

There is no special limiter on zx10r , like there was on gsxr or other suzukis.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts