Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my hands on a bunch of maxima oils octane booster that has TEL in it (tetraethyl lead). The bike Really felt good on my first test tank. I don't really understand what implications there would be with random use of this product....which is where I'd like to ask you guys for help. Will I have have longevity issues on any components with non frequent use?

Also, my bike has PCIII......the bike felt ok when I ran the first tank through. I'm assuming if I really wanted the full benefit of the booster I'd want to dyno tune with it to have a map just for those times?

If any of you guys use this product, what do presonally think of it? how often do you use it?

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
High octane is only used to prevent detonation. With a stock motor, anything more than premium pump gas is not necessary, and actually will cost power. Higher octane fuel is *less* likely to ignite, tends to burn more slowly than lower octane fuel. Stock motor Busas make more power with 87 than 93.

If you modify your motor by installing pistons with a higher compression ratio (say over 14:1), or if you spray nitrous oxide, or turbocharge, you greatly increase the chance for detonation. Therefore you need to run high octane fuel, not because it adds power on its own, but to allow a modifed motor to run at all.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so is my butt meter that I felt with the first tank all in my head? I know it quite well could be.....I won't say 100%.....but I'm 97.7591% sure my bike felt a little peppier :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Most likely. Unless you run regular grade fuel in very hot conditions, and lug the motor a lot, you will rarely see any detonation on a stock bike.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
With 91 you're fine. Stock CR is only 12.7:1, I run 93 pump at 14:1 with no issues, in Florida heat.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
well I am in california.....top grade is 91....... and here in the desert at this time of the year it is normal to see 110 degrees and up.....if that matters
Most guys drag racing are running 87 octane. Granted that we dont lug the bikes down like a street bike but anything you do to slow the burn rate of the fuel(higher octane) will cost you power.:thumbsup:

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Don't use tetraethyl lead if you have the stock exhaust system and catalytic converter, or if your bike has lambda sensor(s) in the exhaust. The lead will bugger them up. If you have a mostly stock bike, as others have noted, there is really no purpose in using this sort of additive.

Lead can somewhat shorten the life of the sparkplugs, too.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Don't use tetraethyl lead if you have the stock exhaust system and catalytic converter, or if your bike has lambda sensor(s) in the exhaust. The lead will bugger them up. If you have a mostly stock bike, as others have noted, there is really no purpose in using this sort of additive.

Yep, that could be bad! LOL..

·
Registered
2,427 Posts

Good post

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you have a lambda sensor and run leaded gas (I have to) the sensor will need to be replaced after about 50 hours of use.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I run 87 all day long in my 06 10R with no detonation problems at all. Runs like a champ!

If your worried run 89 mid grade.
Only 89 around has ethanol, which would be bad to run...correct:dontknow:? With no motor work and just a slip-on, pc3 (dan kyle map) would 87 do me better than 90-91?

Just curious here, but why do racers run a higher octane? My mind tells me because of the motor work, higher compression needs it. We have a tank of 110 at the track and track day guys were buying it last weekend....uhhhh don't get it.:headshake

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just curious here, but why do racers run a higher octane? My mind tells me because of the motor work, higher compression needs it. We have a tank of 110 at the track and track day guys were buying it last weekend....uhhhh don't get it.:headshake[/QUOTE]

:+1: :sad: Any fuel experts out there that can shed some more light on the grade deal?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts