Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting into my front and rear bearings, and i noticed that the spacer between the bearings (not sure what the technical term is) seems to move around when i stick my finger in there and put pressure up or down. I was under the impression that this was not supposed to move? If thats normal can i pound the bearings out one side at a time or does it not move left to right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i've called a stop to the job ATM untill i can get an answer. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Just getting into my front and rear bearings, and i noticed that the spacer between the bearings (not sure what the technical term is) seems to move around when i stick my finger in there and put pressure up or down. I was under the impression that this was not supposed to move? If thats normal can i pound the bearings out one side at a time or does it not move left to right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i've called a stop to the job ATM untill i can get an answer. :eek:ccasion1
I think the spacer your refering to is more of an axle guide. Either way, it should be captured fairly snug. If you have to push it, to move it, no big deal. If it's just loose, then you should press your bearings tighter IMO.

I take it you are removing your bearings? If so, it doesn't matter. Just get it lined up when you press them back in.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts

Completely normal.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If I could add to this topic with a question...

Where is a great place to buy hybrid bearings from for an 05? I'm drawing blank on my searches.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am not sure what a hybrid bearing is, but allballsracing.com makes all kinds of bearings, you could give them i shot, and thanks for the replies. I can safely say i slept a little better last night knowing everything is OK w/ the rims.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If that beautifully light spacer did not move....then how would you get the bearing out?
The spacer is there purely to set a distance between the two bearings.

·
Registered
681 Posts
when putting your new bearings in, grind down the edge of your old bearings to put on top of the new bearing while tapping it back in, i learned the hard way and messed up a brand new bearing. grind the edges down so once the new bearing is seated all the way down, the ground down one will just come right out. just a tip.... when i did mine i heated up the area of the wheel so it would expand a little bit and i put the bearings in the freezer for a day or so before i put them in so they would shrink a little bit and the new bearing went in perfectly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys i just removed the bearings from my 09-zx10r the peice your talking about is just a spacer to ensure the right distance between bearings.
Im taking the stock (ntn bearings) out because im putting in new low friction bearings, For any who are trying the same thing you have to remember you cant just fit any bearing they are rated on load, revolutions per minute etc, be sure to get the right bearing for the application.
Also bearings should be fitted with a retaning compound such as loctite 641 to ensure no slip between the outside of the bearing and the mouting walls. Another tip is when you are hammering in the new bearings make sure you hit the outer ring of the bearing because that is the load point as you hammer it in if you hit the middle you may distort the bearing. DO NOT HAMMER THE RUBBER SEAL in between the two rings.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
^ Haha, reviving a dead post to toss a little info out there. Since i'm here, Thanks Nate for the info. I replaced those bearings no problem doing it just as you described. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
11 Posts
Was looking up some info myself so thought id put it out there for anyone else....who comes across the same post

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hope you found what you were looking for, and welcome to the site :welcome:. Good people and good info here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put in new nsk bearings there a non contact bearing which means the seals runs in a machined groove instead of on the inner face of the inner race of the bearing, hence less friction. So if your thinking of doing the same thing there not called 'low friction' there called non contact. before i only got about 1 and a half rotations from the front tyre (front calipers on) now i get 3 and a half and its carrying its speed alot better and just feels smoother all round i reccomend this mod, cheap to.

cheers

·
Registered
134 Posts
Installing bearings

I also highly recommend freezing the bearing and heating the hub. Often the bearing will drop right in without any destructive pounding. :eek:ccasion1

1 - 20 of 21 Posts