Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
had a interesting talk with MPS at manufacturers cup race in valdosta. ga. sat. purchasing ignition kill box to finish up my air shifter project, question arose was i going to run nitrous. yeah, small shot. he recommended fuel kill, not ignition. why, so no pop or backfire during shifts? he answered no, so u dont spit shims and keepers. he developed the fuel kill for his personal use on his bike that has had problems spitting shims and keepers on the bottle with correct nitrous spring pressures.problem has never reoccured since fuel kill replacing ignition kill. ran nitrous window switch on both setups, so his problem was not from hitting rev limiter on juice. according to him, the "POP", or "BANG" we hear during shifts that results from reigniting a cylinder with fuel and nitrous, after first killing the spark, produces a powerful shock and sonic wave that impacts the valves operation and its vital components as in springs, retainers, keepers, and shims allowing things to be shocked out of thier necessary place, or spit out as we say. they claim this is not theory, but fact. told far less chance of spitting a shim or keeper with fuel kill on nitrous. just wanted to pass this along as members have experienced the same problems. for what its worth, im going fuel kill, he was very convincing and logical.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
683 Posts
What device or products would you use to kill the fuel delivery versus ignition ? Or what products are out there to kill fuel delivery ?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fuel kill options

mps fuel kill box, muzzy also. kill time same as ign., adjustable also. hope this helps. i go to the big races to watch and enjoy, but primarily to gain good information from the pro's. ive removed many valve keepers with a socket and a sharp rap, not a heavy blow on the socket, when stripping heads. just makes sense. we all know the rev limiter, which interrupts ign. on nitrous, can spit shims, keepers and drop valves, and must be avoided. good safety precaution, especially with nitrous and stk. springs.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
I had been wondering this. I know turbo bikes want ignition kill for safety, ie resist detonation while in boost wot gear changes. They need the fuel so to not go lean.
And we're opposite needing fuel kill. What about killing both? Is there a

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fuel and ignition kill

mps alters the ecu on all busas to kill both at same time, for $145. see what i can find out. can be done with both boxes, but may be better way.

·
Registered
700 Posts
you are exactly correct!, Also you can kill the nitrous between shifts also, it helps with the bang. You just use kill box to also shut down the solenoid.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Just to add to gazx10's original post. If any of you have a pc3. You can download the quickshifter software and use it on your airshifter setups. It is a fuel kill.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thanks for the info guys. so bugman, common, shared kill wire to injectors and solenoid, handle the load ok? jl, you are referring to software and quickshift hard parts also?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Just the software, it kills the fuel through the power commander. You do have to run two wires out of the pc plug to your button but thats it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I can when I get home tonight. (On my phone at work) You can try searching for diy quickshifter in the meantime. Basically rather than using a brake light switch, just wire it to your horn button, like you normally would for an airshifter.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I can when I get home tonight. (On my phone at work) You can try searching for diy quickshifter in the meantime. Basically rather than using a brake light switch, just wire it to your horn button, like you normally would for an airshifter.
I'm somewhat confused? I have an electric shifter with a button already. However, down the road, if I add nitrous, I will want the Power Commander to kill fuel, and the shifter to kill ignition. Is that possible?

·
Registered
860 Posts
What you want can be done, its all in setting it up. If you want pm me number and i can explain it over the phone or like i said, i can go into it more when i get home.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts