Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Service manual specifies "molybdenum disulfide oil solution" to lube head bolt threads and washers.

What is this? Assembly lube? The only stuff I found at parts stores is multi purpose bearing grease with moly. What is the right stuff and where to find? Could I just use motor oil?

Am I needlessly obsessing over minor details?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Most assembly lube has moly. Torque values will change with diff lubricants, it's worth doing correctly. I like Permatex assembly lube, use sparingly.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most assembly lube has moly. Torque values will change with diff lubricants, it's worth doing correctly. I like Permatex assembly lube, use sparingly.
Thanks. I'll look for it!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
ARP includes a moly lube with their fasteners if I'm not mistaken. You can buy the lube by itself, it could be worth looking into if all else fails.

·
Registered
477 Posts
hi lenshead,i take it your changing your sprocket?....mo:apply molybdenum disulfide oil solution,(mixture of engine oil and molybdenum disulfide grease in a weight ratio is 10:1....taken straight from kawasaki factory manual!hope this helps....ps 10 parts engine oil/1 part grease.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi lenshead,i take it your changing your sprocket?....mo:apply molybdenum disulfide oil solution,(mixture of engine oil and molybdenum disulfide grease in a weight ratio is 10:1....taken straight from kawasaki factory manual!hope this helps....ps 10 parts engine oil/1 part grease.
That's very helpful, where in the manual does it say that?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Oops! That stuff contains no moly. but Permatex. ®. Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube, Silicone/Moly does, so does Permatex Slik-Pak 5th Wheel Grease.

ARP is easy to find on-line, but I'll take a drive around to my local shops first.

Thanks for the info, guys!

Edit: this is what I ended up with. Moly disufide is a solid similar to graphite and does not tend to stay suspended in oil. So it is usually mixed with grease in a paste form. This seems to re-enforce the above service manual instruction about mixing with motor oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
819 Posts
Same as what dsbat stated and there should also be numbers for a certain weight motor oil as well. Do no over lube and be very gentle if its a first gen as their case metal was a little soft.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
Oops! That stuff contains no moly. but Permatex. ®. Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube, Silicone/Moly does, so does Permatex Slik-Pak 5th Wheel Grease.

ARP is easy to find on-line, but I'll take a drive around to my local shops first.

Thanks for the info, guys!

Edit: this is what I ended up with. Moly disufide is a solid similar to graphite and does not tend to stay suspended in oil. So it is usually mixed with grease in a paste form. This seems to re-enforce the above service manual instruction about mixing with motor oil.
I actually bought the same stuff to prepare for shim removal on the valve. Everything was in Spec so never used it but I think I will keep it just encase. :wink:

bloo

·
Registered
477 Posts
molybdenum disulfide grease

hi lenshead,all i can say is the pdf manual is missing some text that kawasaki puts in the factory manual??i bought the proper manual from my kawasaki dealer (70 quid)and its in there.hear's a pic..

Attachments

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
WOW. That info is not in my PDF. Rep for you my freind!:hello:

Makes me wonder what else is missing. I would have appreciated better instructions on alternator installation. It has a spring loaded gear with no easy way to pre-load it so it mates with the clutch gear....Grrrr....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts