Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Honda Passport. On the highway on the way home from work yesterday I started hearing a squealing noise from under he hood that sounded like belts needed adjusting. This morning I went to take the kids to school and when I started my car there was a loud squealing, the smell of burned rubber and smoke coming out from under the hood. Popped the hood and the serpentine belt wasn't moving. Obviously something has seized. So I want to know what the simplest method for telling WHATS seized. Is it as simple as removing the serpentine and turning the pulleys by hand? I hate to take it to the shop if I can figure it out myself...ESP since towing, diagnosing and fixing would probably cost more than the damned things worth :badteeth:

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Take the belt off and spin all the pulleys. Also take a look at the belt tensioner. Ac compressors are known to lock up. See of the clutch is locked up on the ac compressor as well. You'll probably just need a 1/2'' ratchet to release the tension on the belt tensioner. You will be able to see what is seized by turning them by hand.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
These guys are correct. My money is on the tensioner. Water pump would weep before it seizes and A/C clutch should stay disengaged when dead.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
i would check your tensioner......i will strees never get something like that from the junk yard....most(not all)cars that I run into have timing belt driven water pumps...if tensioner is good my guess would be a/c compressor..not too many things will lock and stop the belt from moving??I have seen alternators lock-up but usually it is from sitting for an extended period(brushes,ect. rust together)and it was like the motor was siezed until i took belts off!!very 1st step remove belts!:2cents: and hope i helped!!:eek:ccasion1
Dan

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
NEW UPDATED AUTO PROBLEM

sorry wicked to "thread jack"...but i do hope you got your problem fixed on your Passport...:)

I have a '96 Ford F-150

PROBLEM:Once I turn the ignition on and try to start the truck the starter keeps on spinning/turning like it was gonna start. I immediately turn the engine off but the starter keeps on spinning/turning until i actually disconnect it from a power source i.e (disconnect the battery cable)....i get it to stop then some time later when i try to start it up again it just clicks...

Drop the starter out and rubber/metal shavings come out....now i've had it (starter) replaced several times because its faulty but could it be the solenoid or relay?

-ive replaced the wires to and from the battery, ignition, any other suggestions?

Rich

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
That truck should have a big square solenoid on the passenger side firewall, not like the old school round ford and chevy solenoids. I would start there. The starter or starter clutch should not be the problem, the problem is your getting a persistent juice from the solenoid.

I would check if the ignition lead at the solenoid is off when the problem is happening. If it stays on, then the ignition switch is still tripping the solenoid and the ignition itself would be to blame.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
that truck should have a big square solenoid on the passenger side firewall, not like the old school round ford and chevy solenoids. I would start there. The starter or starter clutch should not be the problem, the problem is your getting a persistent juice from the solenoid.

I would check if the ignition lead at the solenoid is off when the problem is happening. If it stays on, then the ignition switch is still tripping the solenoid and the ignition itself would be to blame.
:+1:

·
Registered
634 Posts
That truck should have a big square solenoid on the passenger side firewall, not like the old school round ford and chevy solenoids. I would start there. The starter or starter clutch should not be the problem, the problem is your getting a persistent juice from the solenoid.

Hit the solenoid with a hammer. Not hard enough to break it, but enough to jolt it. Then drive to advance and get yourself another $10 solenoid and be done.

·
Registered
634 Posts
OP

90% of the time the first thing to lock up is the tensioner. It's normally pretty easy to spot as the bearings usually show themselves. lol If the arm itself is still good (still has good tension) you can normally just pick up the pulley for around $20.

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the way i knew my tensioner went out last year was that the serpentine belt snapped and ripped through part of the wiring harness...doh!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts