Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
My damn dog is allergic to everything - so he's on hills something or other the fiancee picks up from the clinic she works at.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Wow, good looking out Ripped, because I sure do feed my dogs NUTRO MAX, I got to show the wife this.

:eek:ccasion1

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
thanks fo rthe heads up man!..good lookin out!. i feed mine science diet.
it is expensive but it has many good reviews!

·
Registered
410 Posts
wow, both our dogs and the cat all happen to be on nutro at the moment (we're not brand loyal, just a coincidence).

Guess we'll just keep an eye out. They don't seem to be having any trouble right now:dontknow:

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
good find ripped. i need to double check Leo's food now that you guys mention it. its sad the shit these assholes can get away with. rep sent

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I feed my dog royal canine, spendy but worth it. Good lookin out man
NO JOKE, that stuff is expensive, but it does work, also has the most protein content if I can remember correctly. Actually when my male was a pup I had him on that, and he gained so much weight, the vet informed me to put him on something else because he had surgery on his leg, and he said it wasn't good for him to be that heavy. Even his Mom would sneak and eat his food and she put on some serious weight. So if your looking to beef your dog up, Royal Canine is what your looking for.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i feed my boy science diet, and he loves it but its not the best

·
Pimp/Player
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow i been reading some of the reviews
1 stars=Hills,Science Diet,Royal Canin
2 stars=Nutro,Hills,Royal Canin
3 stars=Royal Canin,Nutro Ultra
4 stars=Nutro Ultra
5 stars=Nature's Variety

From what i read it depends what brand and type u get.

This is a review on most of the 1 stars:

The primary ingredient in the food is a low quality grain. Corn is a problematic grain that is difficult for dogs to digest and thought to be the cause of a great many allergy and yeast infection problems. We prefer not to see this used in dog food, yet it is the primary grain in this food.

The next ingredient in this food is by-products. It is impossible to ascertain the quality of by-products and these are usually products that are of such low quality as to be rejected for use in the human food chain, or else are those parts that have so little value that they cannot be used elsewhere in either the human or pet food industries. The AAFCO definition of chicken by-product meal is “a meal consisting of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidable in good processing practice.”

The third ingredient is soybean meal. Soy is a poor quality source of protein in dog food, and a common cause of allergy problems. Some believe that it is the number 1 cause of food allergies in dogs (outstripping even wheat).

Animal fat is a further low quality ingredient and is impossible to determine the source. Unidentified ingredients are usually very low quality. AAFCO define this as "obtained from the tissues of mammals and/or poultry in the commercial processes of rendering or extracting. It consists predominantly of glyceride esters of fatty acids and contains no additions of free fatty acids. If an antioxidant is used, the common name or names must be indicated, followed by the words "used as a preservative". It is a concern to see a fat as the fourth ingredient. Research at Purdue University has identified fat in the top four ingredients of a dry food as a factor that increases the risk of bloat in large breed dogs. Smaller breeds are untested.

Beet pulp is further filler and a controversial ingredient – it is a by-product, being dried residue from sugar beets which has been cleaned and extracted in the process of manufacturing sugar. It is a controversial ingredient in dog food, claimed by some manufacturers to be a good source of fibre, and derided by others as an ingredient added to slow down the transition of rancid animal fats and causing stress to kidney and liver in the process. We note that beet pulp is an ingredient that commonly causes problems for dogs, including allergies and ear infections, and prefer not to see it used in dog food. There are less controversial products around if additional fibre is required.

The food uses artificial flavour, and brewers rice which is a low quality grain and by-product.

·
Registered
186 Posts
FEED BARF._My Mastino Napoletano STOPPED beeing allergic after i started feeding him raw meet.feed dogs what nature planned for them.all these dry kimble companies even if they use great quality meat,they add cheap chineese additives(MELAMINE) to make themshelves rich and they give a shit 'bout you and your pet.SAME problem faced dog owners feeding ROYAL CANINE..FEED R A W!!!!!Most serious breeders suggest so.:cool:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I feed my pups Eukanuba. performance for the pit and older dog formula for the mutt. They are pretty darn healthy, but gets expensive. I also throw table scraps in their bowls. Rice and beans never killed anybody in my family.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
I'm working to move my dogs to the raw diet. It's not cheap tho!

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
My dog needs a home cooked meal...She will not eat any dog food whatsoever...So what we eat is what she eats...stews, Pasta, Steaks, Prime Rib, etc...She looks it tho and is a damn good looking Akita that would probably compete well in the ring if she were not such a dog hater herself hehe.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I feed my pups Eukanuba. performance for the pit and older dog formula for the mutt. They are pretty darn healthy, but gets expensive. I also throw table scraps in their bowls. Rice and beans never killed anybody in my family.
I think that's what I feed my German Shep. in his puppy years because I wanted him to have the best in his growing years......but I also believe I used the Nutro :badteeth:

Since adult hood he gets whatever is on sale in a combination of dry and a can wet food. Lately I give him some Higher priced Alpho(taste :dontknow:) mixed with his dry food.....he is still alive and active though :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts